NICEIC Assessments

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccarooni

Reaction score
can some tell me what to expect on a first nic assessment, all info gratefully received. they have told me ,2 jobs, copy of certs, insurance etc, but i would like to know more, they are sending me an info pk or something. thank you all in advance

Macca

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

this thread is sort of a follow on from my previous one

Are you being assesed as a domestic installer, or approved contractor?

I am assuming DI, as they normally ask us for 5 jobs (approved contractor).

Generally, the day goes as follows.

Engineer arrives at your house/business premises.

Wants to see ALL your H+S policy, public liability, complaints form, etc.....

Then wants to see your issued certificates to date.

He normally picks two, that he`d like to see, and you `phone customers to confirm they`re ok (I normally forewarn customers that I`m regularly assessed, "to check I`m doing my job properly").

If they aren`t in/ inconvenient, he`ll pick another.

Then he jumps in your motor, and you go to the jobs.

He`ll want to see you performing the tests, and getting approx the same readings you put on your cert.

He`ll ask a couple of questions (remember - he ISN`T trying to catch you out - he`s making sure YOU know what you`re talking about).

Most inspectors are practicing sparx - If you want to know something technical, they`ll usually help.

word to the wise - when he arrives, be prepared. Offer a cuppa, and be ready to discuss what work you`ve done recently, eyc.

I apologise if I`ve rambled, but, as the regulars will know, ............

KME`s Guinness Guiness Drink

has been assessed in detail this evening. (hic)

Hope that helps mate (FYI, my annual assessment is the end of the month - and I`m going to be flat out between now & then, so he`ll have to take us as he finds us:OPray

(At the end of the day, it isn`t financially viable for them to fail you; unless you appear incompetent!)

Brush up your regs, and be prepared for a live version of 2381, 2382 and a bit of 2391 thrown in.

Don`t try to waffle or bluff!!!! If you don`t know the answer to a question, say so. Much better than appearing to be a pillock.

Generally, the day goes as follows.

Engineer arrives at your house/business premises.

Wants to see ALL your H+S policy, public liability, complaints form, etc.....

Then wants to see your issued certificates to date.

He normally picks two, that he`d like to see, and you `phone customers to confirm they`re ok (I normally forewarn customers that I`m regularly assessed, "to check I`m doing my job properly").

If they aren`t in/ inconvenient, he`ll pick another.

Then he jumps in your motor, and you go to the jobs.

He`ll want to see you performing the tests, and getting approx the same readings you put on your cert.

He`ll ask a couple of questions (remember - he ISN`T trying to catch you out - he`s making sure YOU know what you`re talking about).

Most inspectors are practicing sparx - If you want to know something technical, they`ll usually help.

word to the wise - when he arrives, be prepared. Offer a cuppa, and be ready to discuss what work you`ve done recently, eyc.

(At the end of the day, it isn`t financially viable for them to fail you; unless you appear incompetent!)

Brush up your regs, and be prepared for a live version of 2381, 2382 and a bit of 2391 thrown in.

Don`t try to waffle or bluff!!!! If you don`t know the answer to a question, say so. Much better than appearing to be a pillock.
Excellent advice KME - I assume the assessment done by Elecsa is pretty much the same? Must admit, I've been a tad nervous about my pending one, but have recently done lots of testing and feel a bit more at ease about it. Just need to book it now!Pray

Excellent advice KME - I assume the assessment done by Elecsa is pretty much the same? Must admit, I've been a tad nervous about my pending one, but have recently done lots of testing and feel a bit more at ease about it. Just need to book it now!Pray
I would expect so, AAL

No need to be nervous. As said, they don`t try to catch you out. Imagine instead that you have this lecturer-type person, who can answer any questions you have.

You`ll be fine;)

KME

thank you for you're input, sorry for not replying sooner.

Yes it is a DI reg i have applied for. Officially I've only done two jobs so far (and 1 of them is at home).

I've worked for a NIC registered co for 7 years and want to build up my own base.

I have 17th edition and 2360, also at the moment doing the 2391, although as far as I'm aware the latter is not a requirement for registration. I hope to have my assessment within the next 8 weeks (Apparently according to nic ) so again its another case of waiting to see.

Many thanks again KME. I will try to get organised

Macca

By the way the Guinness is good.

Morning Avin, I had my Elecsa assesment last friday KME might as well have been with us because he was spot on with his post, I got 1 non conformance and have 45 days to provide photographic evidence that it has been rectified, you have a scale of A,B,C

A, straight pass

B, non conformance, provide evidence then pass

C, fail and a recharge to come out again.

you need the big red book, small red book ( OSG ),public liability,H&S, complaints form ( these are sent out by Elecsa prior to the visit )

hope this helps

NWDS

Most be DI? For Installer the first visit is the pre inspection?
Thanks for that, but I'm sorry i don't understanddo you mean I am havindg a pre inspection?.....What and how is this different to an assessment.

Macca

Well thats good to know,,,,,,Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Macca