NICIEC Domestic Installer submitting an IPM18C EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it contains the basic information shown in the model forms of BS7671 then it is acceptable.

I find the NICEIC website to be very ambiguous.

http://www.niceic.com/join-us/part-p-domestic-installer-scheme
The Domestic Installer Covers...
Design
Installation
Certification

https://www.niceic.com/join-us/approved-contractor-scheme
The scheme covers:
electricians working on commercial and industrial installations
electricians working on domestic installations
electrical installation condition reporting (testing, inspection, PIRs)
street lighting installers
security systems installers
any other activity covered by BS 7671

I'm sure it was the Competant Person's Register that also has a "yes" for Approved Contractor's to be able to do EICR's and a "No" for Domestic Installers. Unfortunately I cannot find that link at the moment.

Do you now have a satisfactory EICR for your property?

If the answer is yes, send a copy to the letting agent so they can pass it to the tenant, if you self manage you need to send a copy to the tenant

Thats it

So what you're saying Madasafish is that every EICR that hasn't been completed by an NICEIC registered 'Approved Contractor' is not an acceptable document?

Id be interested to hear why

Mad, you are misunderstanding the NICEIC. They have a two tiered system, Domestic Installer and Approved. Domestic installer is just that, they can install and self certify THEIR work, they are not allowed to report upon somebody else’s work -EICR- whereas an Approved company can. The NICEIC also then brought out a ‘Bolt On’ scheme for their DI’s which meant they could be reassessed for carrying out EICR - for additional fees. 
I’m not too sure if they abolished the DI EICR registration scheme so that DI’s can’t now do EICR at all? 

Now the reality of the EICR, is that any COMPETENT spark is permitted to carry out an EICR under BS7671, this is usually taken to suggest that the spark has completed many years in the trade and/or holds the CG2391 certificate.

As pointed out by our learned colleague, all test forms by any scheme/manufacturer are based upon the models as set out in BS7671.  

so I’m not sure what exactly you are fretting over? 

Not many people refer to that list is my experience
Won't be long...... https://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/About-Us

So what you're saying Madasafish is that every EICR that hasn't been completed by an NICEIC registered 'Approved Contractor' is not an acceptable document?

Id be interested to hear why
I have had two recent reports from NICEIC "Approved Contractors" and they have been total garbage. Why?  because their head is up their arse. What is needed is an independent arbitration group that consumer's can go to ridicule the CPC's.  My tuppence worth.

Won't be long...... https://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/About-Us

I have had two recent reports from NICEIC "Approved Contractors" and they have been total garbage. Why?  because their head is up their arse. What is needed is an independent arbitration group that consumer's can go to ridicule the CPS's.  My tuppence worth.

Thats never going to happen 

I know a local spark who is condemning properties and instead of issuing an EICR, simply emailing the letting agents - talk about poor practice iMHO 

The NICEIC is a trade body that it is not compulsory to be a member of..

Should you wish to be a member you have to pay annual fees and satisfy certain criteria they set out to allow you retain your membership..

BS7671, (wiring regulations), sets out various model forms and certificates that ALL electricians whether members of trades bodies or not should use as the basis for reporting on any work they do.

Any qualified and competent electrician could produce their "own-brand"  certificates and reports based around the BS7671 examples.

Various Trades bodies, Test meter manufactures, Software houses, etc.. have produced and sell their own versions of the BS7671 reports for anyone eligible to use..

The NICEIC have produced their own range of electrical documentation which include their brand Logo on the top..

Only paid-up members are allowed to use NICEIC logoed documents..

The NICEIC have also produced their own range of electrical documentation which does NOT include their brand Logo on the top..

Anyone is allowed to buy and use these non-logoed documents..

Whatever form of documentation you choose to use, providing they all follow the framework of the BS7671 examples..

And that the person compiling the report/certificate is competent..

Then they are ALL perfectly valid..

As far as I understand it, the legal requirement for rental properties is that the landlord has to ensure a competent person has undertaken an EICR of the property..

And the NICEIC have jumped on this money bandwagon by creating additional membership levels (thus extra fees),

for people to use their Logo'ed EICR's..

And then advertising it to the unsuspecting public as if it is the ONLY valid option for an EICR.

Guinness    

And the NICEIC have jumped on this money bandwagon by creating additional membership levels (thus extra fees),

And then advertising it to the unsuspecting public as if it is the ONLY valid option for an EICR.

They are only interested in the money they can make and NAPIT are no better - a bit like how a cartel operates

Clearly hit a chord here. A lot of you are in agreement, which is surprising considering I am in the Electrical Inspection & Testing Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly hit a chord here. A lot of you are in agreement, which is surprising considering I am in the Electrical Inspection & Testing Forum.
Not really

there are a lot of highly qualified and experienced Inspectors and Testers in here but It doesn't mean we have to agree with ",the system."

S'funny that isn't it. I used to be registered as DI and later AC with NICey, they loved a board change and EICR for the annual inspection for both registration levels, now it seems, I woud not be considered 'competent' as a DI for this work, yet to be DI you have to be able to test and inspect. Money grabbing quango cunch of bunts  :redcard