NICIEC Domestic Installer submitting an IPM18C EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really

there are a lot of highly qualified and experienced Inspectors and Testers in here but It doesn't mean we have to agree with ",the system."

So pleased to hear it.

Back in the day, I did 2 years part time Tec II electrical engineering, my third and final year was interrupted by the Manpower Services Commission offering me a 6 month "minimal paid" intensive training course in computers with a guarantee of a job thereafter. Absolutely no regrets with that decision. Back then, if you were not working on  IBM systems your were nothing. Their engineers used come in with their head up their arse. We called them "Blue Rinsed" because it had to be the IBM way of doing things. It's a very similar story and experience to the way NICEIC and the other CPC's are going. You hardly here of IBM these day's.

So pleased to hear it.

Back in the day, I did 2 years part time Tec II electrical engineering, my third and final year was interrupted by the Manpower Services Commission offering me a 6 month "minimal paid" intensive training course in computers with a guarantee of a job thereafter. Absolutely no regrets with that decision. Back then, if you were not working on  IBM systems your were nothing. Their engineers used come in with their head up their arse. We called them "Blue Rinsed" because it had to be the IBM way of doing things. It's a very similar story and experience to the way NICEIC and the other CPC's are going. You hardly here of IBM these day's.

Not really... 

IBM were a significant mainframe computer company, who also got involved at the start of the desktop PC boom, with their own BIOS/DOS & utilising a lot of standard off-the-shelf hardware for sale to both business and domestic markets...

Markets which then became flooded with numerous other companies offering IBM compatible PC's and the alternative Apple computers, etc.. etc..

Finally selling off their personal computer division to Lenovo..

IBM is still a significant going concern, probably more behind the scenes within the world of IT & The Internet...

getting involved in stuff like Cloud computing,  Artificial Intelligence.. etc..

(you probably need to google all of the pies that IBM still have some fingers in).

Whereas since 1956 the NICEIC was and still is,  just a trades body offering services to contractors who are willing to pay to become a member..  

NICEIC have never been a manufacture changing the market sectors they work in....

Just a trade association amending some of there criteria as wiring regulations or other guidance or laws become applicable in the UK.

:C        

Not really... 

IBM were a significant mainframe computer company, who also got involved at the start of the desktop PC boom, with their own BIOS/DOS & utilising a lot of standard off-the-shelf hardware for sale to both business and domestic markets...

Markets which then became flooded with numerous other companies offering IBM compatible PC's and the alternative Apple computers, etc.. etc..

Finally selling off their personal computer division to Lenovo..

IBM is still a significant going concern, probably more behind the scenes within the world of IT & The Internet...

getting involved in stuff like Cloud computing,  Artificial Intelligence.. etc..

(you probably need to google all of the pies that IBM still have some fingers in).

Whereas since 1956 the NICEIC was and still is,  just a trades body offering services to contractors who are willing to pay to become a member..  

NICEIC have never been a manufacture changing the market sectors they work in....

Just a trade association amending some of there criteria as wiring regulations or other guidance or laws become applicable in the UK.

:C

Very true, but they (IBM) are certainly not the behemoth they once was.  :C

6150?

token ring?

port concentrators?

connectors that there was no Tooling for

Thick ethenet

beesting taps

6150 - I cut my teeth on the AT&T 3B Series, Fortune 32:16, Altos and of course the IBM PC. I then specialized on the IBM 6150 which was IBM's foray into the Unix (AIX) world followed by the RS6000 which was used to beat Garry Kasporov at Chess using a special AI program. (Big Blue)

Token Ring - (Yes) and there was also the Hub

Port Concentrators. - I think you are referring to Async Port concentrators for dumb V24 connected terminals.

Connectors that there was no Tooling for Thick ethernet beesting taps. - I think you mean Vampire Taps for Thick Ethernet (10base5)  Although credit goes to Rank Xerox who invented ethernet and were the first to use the technology to link computers. They are also responsible for "The mouse" and GUI Interfaces we all use today. Steve Job's from Apple pinched it off them.

IBM can also be credited with the following...

ATM (Where you get your cash from)
DRAM (Memory Chips)
Electronic Key Punch
Financial Swaps
Floppy Disks
Hard Disks
Magnetic Stripe Card (You have on your bank cards)
Relational Database
SQL
RISC (IBM 6150 and RS6000)
The Bar Code
VM (Virtual Machine) Now superseded by Docker
Scanning Tunneling Microscope

Happy days!....the Tooling I was referring to was for the 6150 plugs

i hink the port conchs were 25D pin.....but it was a while ago

Ty n there was Singer Computers......system10? Or maybe system X?  Bought out by ICL and created System 25? Connected withXLR microphone sockets?

fun fact....we built a patch panel from scratch and to make it match the ICL colours we found that Datsun Brick Red was the same!😂