No cpc to outdoor light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently performed EICR at a property which has an outdoor light, it's a traditional porch type light which is basically housing a pendant inside. The metal casing is not earthed.

My question is, should it be? I know in an ideal situation yes, but there is no place to terminate a cpc... is the customer expected to fork out for another light?

P.S. the cable entering from the bottom is no longer used. The feed comes in via a grometted hole directly from the back.

Attachments

• IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 18
The metal casing is not earthed.

My question is, should it be? I know in an ideal situation yes, but there is no place to terminate a cpc...

A suitable size drill and a bolt or self tapper could create a suitable point to create a CPC termination point..
Or could the supply be changed to 12v?

You need to decide how dangerous you consider it to be..?

The customer doesn't have to fork out for anything..
they could choose not to use it at all if you consider it an immediate danger?

Bottom line..
How good is your insurance if you consider it a serious electric shock risk
-vs-
Customers expense of a new lamp or other improvement to make it safer?

These are the decisions you are paid to make if you are competent to do EICR's
Ideal situation is not a choice..
The choice is are you prepared to sign the declaration stating the installation is satisfactory?

(There are numerous cases of prosecutions following serious injury where persons have done work and/or inspection & testing that proved to be dangerous.)

The cable enters through a protected hole, the lampholder is all insulated, does it need an earth. No.

A suitable size drill and a bolt or self tapper could create a suitable point to create a CPC termination point..
Or could the supply be changed to 12v?

You need to decide how dangerous you consider it to be..?

The customer doesn't have to fork out for anything..
they could choose not to use it at all if you consider it an immediate danger?

Bottom line..
How good is your insurance if you consider it a serious electric shock risk
-vs-
Customers expense of a new lamp or other improvement to make it safer?

These are the decisions you are paid to make if you are competent to do EICR's
Ideal situation is not a choice..
The choice is are you prepared to sign the declaration stating the installation is satisfactory?

(There are numerous cases of prosecutions following serious injury where persons have done work and/or inspection & testing that proved to be dangerous.)
Good reply .

Where and how is the flexible cable connected is it concealed behind the lamp, if so it may require an earth if not it doesn't.

Latest posts