no shows

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what does everyone else do about people not being home at pre-arranged times and dates?

i may be going through a bad spell, had a few no shows over the years but i've had 6 no shows or last minute cancellations in the last two weeks even though i always ring day before to confirm and this is screwing up my diary and workload.

today 1st job, went and bought materials,

what does everyone else do about people not being home at pre-arranged times and dates?i may be going through a bad spell, had a few no shows over the years but i've had 6 no shows or last minute cancellations in the last two weeks even though i always ring day before to confirm and this is screwing up my diary and workload.

today 1st job, went and bought materials,

As do I Binky. Doesn`t seem to happen TOO often (although I did have one this morning:(). Nothing for it but to tidy the van, :( do paperwork:( :( , or call other jobs and see if I can re-organise someone to try and keep `em all happyX(

there is no answer to this, other than what you already do which is phone the day before. This is why I tend to quote for work rather than give fixed prices - no shows get charged extra. The other possibilty is to sort out a contract of terms and conditions complete with penalty clauses- not that I've ever got round to it myself. Other than that, lose the job and move on to next client - not the best way of running your business but sometimes less frustrating. ?:| I tend to do this (if a small job) and use lost day as a chance to catch up with paperwork etc, or have a bit of time off.
Not one to be picky but I thought a quote was a fixed price, think you mean an estimate

;)

Tiz sodding irritating when someone cancells last minute when you've put other work off, and you have to sit arround all afternoon. I'm employed so I still get paid, me boss gets grumpy mind :^O

what does everyone else do about people not being home at pre-arranged times and dates?
Mmm...

This sounds oh so familiar...

I use to do a lot of work for a Letting Agnecy, but no more (late payments for one), but what really peed me off was the behaviour of the tenants.

Cancel appointments at the last minute.

Simply be 'out' when I arrived.

And to make things worse deny ever making such arrangements (that one really got to me.. X( )

Letting agency to one side, I've had a few cancellations, again the manner in which they where done beggars belief..

But what exactly can you really do about, ask for compensation? I think not, but I'm sure they would tell you where to get off..

But then we are talking about the human race...

rant over..........................

; \

Sorry to hear this Betty S! X( :( :_|

I am now in my 10th year... so far not had any NO shows to do actual work...

had the occasional no show when going to asses a site to compile a quote! :(

I have a gut feeling this is a symptom of "Credit Crunch" kicking in?

Personally I think the biggest problem for myself would be the cost of materials purchased..

not the inconvenience of wasted time cuz someone was out! :|

If a No Show ultimately ends up with No Job as well...

you could end up with a whole bunch of materials hanging around that you cant shift...

or takes a while to shift! X(

With my jobs I apply a few bits I picked up from my previous employment whilst in my Telecommunications days...

95%+ of my jobs I provide a written quotation..

with a duplicate for the customer to sign.

I don't order any materials until I have a signed copy and I have a few terms and conditions written on the back..

Part of which includes..

Cancellation of agreement; After receiving a signed quotation agreement, [company name] will commence procedures to organise materials and allocate a start date for the work at the earliest convenience. Should the customer wish to cancel the work prior to commencement A cancellation cost of 10% of the total value of the work will be due immediately, payable to [company name]
Not sure how much legal authority this actually holds...

but I have never had to apply it and I do have a signed agreement indicting that the customer wants me to do the work! ;) :D

That is why you are Special, see Specs. :)