No Sky

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-the-Ninth

Staff member
TEF Moderator
Reaction score
Been at work all day, turn TV on and ...................no sky. It says we have no signal (Been into settings, it too says we have no signal)

Chap at Sky said "Lots of similar calls today, dish may have moved in the storm. He also said we could take the HDMI cable that connects the skybox to the tv, plug it into the pc and watch online"

I figure it was windy here today, but my question is have you ever experienced a dish being blown out of align? I looked at the dish when we had scaffold up some months ago, I could not move it then, so I don’t think it has moved now, as daft as it may sound, could I be missing anything else?

Sorry, (No edit button) forgot to mention, the sky box is NOT connected to the tv by a HDMI cable, and the computer does not have a HDMI socket, so I have to question what the chap said............

Yes very common.

A satellite dish only has to move a degree or two to lose signal, unlike a tv aerial.

You won't get sky out until after Christmas now.

Re aligning the dish is simple. Start at section 3 on this page http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/skymain.htm

For a home install, the secret is to get a portable tv near the dish so you can view the picture from the sky box while you are adjusting the dish.

Almost certainly the elevation has not changes, it has probably just swivelled round on it's pole a bit.

Or it could be the wind has wrenched the bracket out of the wall and it's now loose.

A man came to deliver the new TV. It included free set up, but I unpacked the tele and made him get his meter out (and later his ladder and socket set).

All free.

Our local electrical shop is great, they made me up a lead today that none of us know the name of, but connects the ultrasound machine to the 2nd hand ebay printer nicely.

Thanks to you both. (Seems I can not multi quote or add smilies, sorry *.)

There was no choice about going up a ladder; it was either that or this bloke came along with a sleigh and some reindeer (I thought better of that)

The dish did not move up and down, but as guessed, it could move sideways, but not anymore.

Merry Christmas to you all.

* Obviously to prevent spam, and smilies in posts are links.

A man came to deliver the new TV. It included free set up, but I unpacked the tele and made him get his meter out (and later his ladder and socket set).

All free.

Our local electrical shop is great, they made me up a lead today that none of us know the name of, but connects the ultrasound machine to the 2nd hand ebay printer nicely.
Free, TODAY? WOW, that is some service.