non cert, certs (are 'logo headed certificates required?)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, as an old hand (MOD apprenticeship almost 50 years ago) I welcome the clarification of the present position. My business partner is much more recently qualified and I have been leaning on hime in this, but this will reduce his burden somewhat. Paret P is mentioned, and having gone through this it doesn't seem to apply in Scotland, but it is difficult to get clarification from the local Building Department on procedures. does anyone have a clue about the Scottish situation?

I think Prodave's the person to ask about the above i believe he's from Scotland.

Thanks, as an old hand (MOD apprenticeship almost 50 years ago) I welcome the clarification of the present position. My business partner is much more recently qualified and I have been leaning on hime in this, but this will reduce his burden somewhat. Paret P is mentioned, and having gone through this it doesn't seem to apply in Scotland, but it is difficult to get clarification from the local Building Department on procedures. does anyone have a clue about the Scottish situation?
Part P is an English and Welsh building standard, so it does not apply this side of the border.

So for "normal" work, i.e day to day wiring alterations or rewires, you don't have to do anything regarding building control * , just issue a certificate for the work you do.

For new builds, that require a building warrant, the situation is less clear. But basically there are two options. First, as I do, is just carry on as before and do the job and issue your certificate. Building control are supposed to inspect the first fix as part of their on site visits during the build, but rarely do.

The alternative is sign up to the "certificate of conformance" scheme, which is a bit like a watered down part P. If you have done the course and joined a scam provider, then you can sign off the completion certificate for the wiring, and building control will give you a VERY small discount off the building warrant cost for using a COC electrician.

The COC scheme is supposed to be optional, but this is where it gets complicated. Certainly in Highland region, I have not had any issue with doing things the old way, but some further south report great resistance to trying to get new builds through without COC.

* The exception is a full rewire of a flat requires a building warrant.

hi everyone

Recently through a tupe transfer i have after ten years started to fill in niceic forms again and have noticed a distinct change in what they deem necessary and the model forms. 

i like the layout of niceic  forms being duplicate but they amount of associated books you have to buy is annoying just doing yearly on emergency lighting no longer is the  light level correct we now have to be design engineers to see if the installation still fits the original design ???

the firm and client we work for now needs a risk assessment if the light fails on a monthly ??

anyone else in this situation ??

cheers

On occasion, certain customers will ( and have a right to) ask for a specific form; usually NIC. You`ll find this to be primarily some local authorities, large companies (their insurance usually specify they MUST use NICEIC), etc.

However, as has been said, you can use ANY cert that complies with 7671, including your own, as long as the customer has not specified otherwise.

KME
in my experience local authorities normally insist on NICEIC membership at AC level, but don't insist on using their forms - I use easycert for all my stuff, which is a nice looking form anyway.

you need to use a cert that complies with 7671. you do not have to use your scam providers
The INFORMATION required by the model forms included in BS7671 are usually regarded as the minimum required to demonstrate a duty of care under the EAWR. Company or Scam logo's are totally meaningless with regards compliance with any standard whatsoever.

It must be noted that in BS7671 the pages preceding the model forms state the capacity in which the signatories to the THREE DECLARATIONS OF CONFORMITY act - there is, however, no mention of said capacity on the forms themselves. 

People need to be aware that it is the act of appending their signature to a declaration that actually "validates" the certificate. The addition of a QS's signature is, legally speaking, utterly meaningless.

My deposition is lodged with a soliciitor for forwarding to the Select Committee in the event of an untimely death.  ]:)

Canoeboy said:
Prof - Your alive :slap

I thought the scams had a hitman take you out  :innocent
And it is "you're" not "your" .....  :innocent

I need to be, the Select Committee enquirey will soon be moving on to the next stage - and they will NOT be happy with the extremely dodgey review carried out by DCLG ....  :innocent

I use national cert bought from ebay for £12 they have all the certs you need, leisure, eicr the lot, I put my company and niceic approved logo have had assessments nobody said was wrong and are amendment 3 compliant