None MCS PV

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Just been looking at smallish PV setups as an experimental thing, few hundred watts, not in the kw as a possible way in order to reduce base electrical demand from such items as network switches, home server, tvs on standby etc, from both an ecconomical and green POV.

Now I am a sparks, but I'm not MCS registered, no desire to be either (not S/E) for a start, would there be any reason it would not be possible install a small set up myself(not interested in the big systems that the companies do, more an experimental thing) , I know that FIT will not apply, but I'm not bothered about that (its a flawed idea anyway...but thats a can of worms). Is there anything legally that says I cannot, obviously inverter has to comply with G83 as not to endanger any cable jointers, and suitable AC and DC isolators need to be fitted, as well as DNO informed that system exists?

Just looking for a few pointers, is it a no go-er? or quite possible?

Im at work just now so dont have time to check,

But Im not entirely sure you will be able to connect this to the network,

You do realise that PV is notifiable under part P ?

To do this as a simple 'DIG' install is just not viable IMHO, even a small system will still cost 4figures and you have anxiously no regs on it,

DONT do it in the way you suggest, its one of those things you either do properly or dont do at all imo.

Sorry.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:25 ----------

My phone auto spells words so I hope you can decode that. :(

sorry

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:27 ----------

It should say something along the lines of you are getting no return or payback from this,

And for the money you will save its simply not worth it, buying lottery tickets is a better investment than PV without generation tariffs.

you need to turn off the predictive text, look under settings - annoys the carp out of me aswell.

Don't think DNO give a monkey if you are registeed for MCS or not - don't remember them asking. The registration is purely for the FIT, but as Steps pointed out, you still need a G83 compliant set-upand part p

Thanks for the advice so far chaps,

I must admit the part P part doesn't bother me, I've already carried out some (what should be) notfiable work here and most other sparks I know arn't too fused either. I guess when I've done everything I need to, i'll get a S/E contact to sneak it through when no ones looking... :p

I'm more interested in anything specific to micro-generation.

No need to be so prickly about it steps, part p is just a red tape nightmare for a lot of people and as long as I'm complying with the spirit of the law and ensureing I install and test to the regs, then the exact letter of it can be sorted later...

Last edited by a moderator:
As Steps says, without the FIT I do not think it would be viable in respect of ever getting your money back. However if you were wanting to do it for some 'feel good' factor or for an experiment then the way I would do it would be to create a dedicated circuit which is totaly seperate from your present house electrics. A circuit with its own isolators, inverter, protection and perhaps feeding a small radial socket circuit. The problem of course would be that without batteries you are only going to get power when it is sunny.

No need to be so prickly about it steps, part p is just a red tape nightmare for a lot of people and as long as I'm complying with the spirit of the law and ensureing I install and test to the regs, then the exact letter of it can be sorted later...
And the willingness to ignore the law undermines our professional status and explains why plumbers are paid more. Steps is reright to be *****ly, and so are lots of other people on this forum, including me, becuase we have gone to the trouble of being fully registered, which is actually quite simple and not a 'red tape mightmare' and as long as peole like you undermine the system none of us will get paid what we are worth.

Shrugs, I hardly see that doing a few bits at home and for family and mates affects the general rate out there... but I'm not in the mood to argue the point. I could rant for days on the illogical nature of things like part P and feed in trafiffs and thats before I even pick up the days copy of the day mail:D

So can we leave the part P thing and get back to the topic in hand.... please!