NOOB Wiring question - 4 terminal occupancy switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

Reaction score
Okay, so i have a leviton manual on vacancy sensor switch, im trying to wire to a fairly old single pole light switch.

The wires in the switch box are
black,
white,
ground.

The switch itself has 4 terminals,
Black,
white,
red,
3 way

When i test either the
white to ground.or.
black to ground in the switch box,
both show 120v

So how can i get it working with the current wires
I assume the switch is both connected to.hot.as.a break in the circuit, but for the switch to function id need to rewire either the black or white to the opposite right

Please help

Posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up. This is a UK forum with little knowledge of US leccy and legislation.
Someone may know, but...
Yes I know, but it's 2am here and I already cut the wires off the old switch and it's a rental which I live at with the landlord here as well.

Thought it'd be cake.

I can always reconnect the old one still but thought I'd have the best luck posting UK

Thanks for any help

("Duplicate" post deleted)

Binary, if it helps, we get the same problem here in the U.K. People will disconnect something and expect the forum members to know how to put it back, the bottom line is, it depends on what colour who ever installed it chose to use. o_O
"Occupancy" switches often require 3 wires (and ground) I suspect that you have the same problem, but you would need a local electrician to check for you. In the mean time, all I can suggest is put the old switch back. :)

Okay thank you for the suggestion.

I know most US circuits now have a hot neutral and ground.

This switch has a black and white wire but it appears they both have 120v

Not making any sense to me please help

Posts merged

This switch has a black and white wire but it appears they both have 120v

It is probably backfeeding through a lamp. (But that is not important right now)

You appear to be assuming (as folk over here do) that because you see two colours, one must be "hot" the other must be neutral, this is not always the case, particularly with switches.

As you are having problems understanding, I can only suggest you ask an electrician to visit site and do the work for you.

(I would also suggest that you do not have the required wires at the switch for your new occupancy switch, but that is why you need an electrician to check.)

I would suggest that the occupancy sensor be best connected on ceiling near light? But that depends on what wires you have there,
Out the original switch back on and look further into it before you change it out.

Connect black to the black terminal and white to the red terminal and ground to the green terminal. The others are for the travelers of three way switching.
Is it possible to show a pic of the wiring if you only have two it is almost certainly hot in and a hot return,

Connect it back up with chock block power up and note the connections..... you will get your 120 live to neutral. Black live white neutral. I'll bet the red is the switch wire. Thing is it will be picking you up when your in the room. So would be live.

Connect it back up with chock block power up and note the connections..... you will get your 120 live to neutral. Black live white neutral. I'll bet the red is the switch wire. Thing is it will be picking you up when your in the room. So would be live.
There are two wires at the switch, black and white so they are both likely to be hot.

Connect black to the black terminal and white to the red terminal and ground to the green terminal. The others are for the travelers of three way switching.
Is it possible to show a pic of the wiring if you only have two it is almost certainly hot in and a hot return,
There are two wires at the switch, black and white so they are both likely to be hot.

Thank you, your answer would have been correct had I had a neutral in the box. Unfortunately it turned out my switch was a "switch loop" wiring configuration, without a neutral.

I could have got it to function as intended by using the ground in place of the neutral, however that would not meet code, and you should never wire anything to ground except ground
(besides inside the breaker panel where it connects to neutral)

My switch box did not have a neutral, which my switch required, so I opted to exchange the switch for a no neutral required type switch, where the neutral was optional (these are fairly new)

Also, the load / line wires were interchangeable as well, which made the whole installation process fool proof

Thanks for the replies, take care
The pic is of the switch I opted for FYI

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220811-053001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220811-053001_Chrome.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
(besides inside the breaker panel where it connects to neutral)
Not allowed to do that in the UK EVER
My switch box did not have a neutral, which my switch required, so I opted to exchange the switch for a no neutral required type switch, where the neutral was optional (these are fairly new)
Been used in UK from r at least 20 years I think

Okay I was just trying to kick it with the cool kid gang.

Its cool, I can see my American a$$ is unwelcome here.

I'll take my un - flavored water and GTFO

PEACE

P.s. no offense mkay chaps? Blocks?
Idk... idk...

But ya no offense.
I'm just high on this Cali bud.
sorry "chaps?" U just wouldn't understand ...

Question resolved, Binary has left the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.