EV battery storage question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

up_north

Reaction score
Are you sure about that?

Our TV uses 0.2 Watts in standby
We have a remote socket adaptor, it uses 0.8 Watts in standby

Smart sockets are great for big loads, but TV? no point.
Hmm. I checked the spec of our TV. It lists 0.5w in standby as you suggested. So plugged TV into TP!ink energy monitoring socket and switched the socket on, putting the TV into standby. Checked the TPlink app and sure enough it was reading 0.51w. So why did I think it was higher than this, I ask myself. Switched TV on and consumption was between 98 and 130w depending on what was being displayed. Put it back into standby expecting it to go to 0.5w and hence confirm I’d lost the plot. But it didn’t - it went to 46w and stayed there for about 15 minutes till the TV made a quiet click sound and then it dropped back to 0.5w. So my erroneous observation was based on checking consumption immediately after putting into standby!

And to make matters worse, our older TPlink HS100 smart plugs actually use 1.5w!!!

Are you sure about that?

Our TV uses 0.2 Watts in standby
We have a remote socket adaptor, it uses 0.8 Watts in standby

Smart sockets are great for big loads, but TV? no point.
Ive a newish 65" lg oled tv. It uses 32w continuous on standby (checked with watt meter plug for hours). Over 100w when on. Tvs on standby these days may well be doing stuff in the background such as recording, updating etc.

Ive a newish 65" lg oled tv. It uses 32w continuous on standby (checked with watt meter plug for hours). Over 100w when on. Tvs on standby these days may well be doing stuff in the background such as recording, updating etc.
As Richard said though, I thought the same as you but was wrong, it was only drawing that amount on standby for about 15 minutes then went down to 0.5w. Ours is also a 65” LG. What do the specs say for standby usage for your TV? Note that if you’re using something like a TPlink Kasa smart energy monitoring plug, it doesn’t update in real time, you have to go back to the previous screen and then tap ‘energy’ again for it to refresh.

I've been using Byron HomeEasy sockets ( for lights 3 x TVs PC & Printer) with a programmer for about 15-16 yrs now a while ago i did a test for total loading of sockets against leaving items in standby without HomEasy sockets and found, in short, it was best in saving to leave the HomeEasy sockets in control.

As Richard said though, I thought the same as you but was wrong, it was only drawing that amount on standby for about 15 minutes then went down to 0.5w. Ours is also a 65” LG. What do the specs say for standby usage for your TV? Note that if you’re using something like a TPlink Kasa smart energy monitoring plug, it doesn’t update in real time, you have to go back to the previous screen and then tap ‘energy’ again for it to refresh.
Seems your right.. After a fair while it goes down to about 0.1w.. Mines just a cheap watt meter from ebay, but does update in real time. Not sure on tv model no without digging out the manual.

So looking at our daily usage, let’s assume in summer 10.00am-4.00pm is peak solar generation time. In that period we currently use 2.6kw/h. On a perfect day with a 3.6kw system I could be generating up to say 18kw. Even if I can send some of that to battery, I’ll still be exporting a load back to the grid.

Starting to wonder if it makes more sense (for Octopus Go customers) to forget solar and just invest in battery storage?

So looking at our daily usage, let’s assume in summer 10.00am-4.00pm is peak solar generation time. In that period we currently use 2.6kw/h. On a perfect day with a 3.6kw system I could be generating up to say 18kw. Even if I can send some of that to battery, I’ll still be exporting a load back to the grid.

Starting to wonder if it makes more sense (for Octopus Go customers) to forget solar and just invest in battery storage?
You'd have to have some very good conditions and perfectly setup panels at optimum angle to achieve that I would have thought.

Perks are
no scaffolding or solar panels. Saving £2500. And possible you can DIY fit saving another £2000

Downside you would prob need 3x the amount of battery's to make it worth while. Cost prob £4000.

Perks are
no scaffolding or solar panels. Saving £2500. And possible you can DIY fit saving another £2000

Downside you would prob need 3x the amount of battery's to make it worth while. Cost prob £4000.
I did consider this and the numbers really do work at the moment. The only issue that I forsee is the off peak rate going up.

Even better. Get yourself a EV. One that charges and discharge (think theirs 3 on the market). Sit it on your drive. Charge it whilst your asleep Let it power your house in the daytime.
35kw of battery's at your disposal and it will help by transportating the shopping😄

Even better. Get yourself a EV. One that charges and discharge (think theirs 3 on the market). Sit it on your drive. Charge it whilst your asleep Let it power your house in the daytime.
35kw of battery's at your disposal and it will help by transportating the shopping😄
I'm considering getting an old Leaf for this except, drive it in the daytime to my business premises and running the business on it. My off peak at home is 7.5p my business energy is 48p. Potential saving of £4k per year..........

So looking at our daily usage, let’s assume in summer 10.00am-4.00pm is peak solar generation time.

In that period we currently use 2.6kw/h.

Are you 100% sure you use 2.6 kwh for 6 hours? Seems a lot

On a perfect day with a 3.6kw system I could be generating up to say 18kw.

How many perfect days do you expect per year?

Even if I can send some of that to battery, I’ll still be exporting a load back to the grid.

Can't comment on battery storage

Are you 100% sure you use 2.6 kwh for 6 hours? Seems a lot

How many perfect days do you expect per year?

Can't comment on battery storage
That’s 2.6kw/h in total for the full 6 hours. Not 2.6kw/h per hour.

No idea how many perfect days there will be - just stating that there will be days where most of the generation will be exported.