Notifiable or Non Notifiable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPSman

Reaction score
Evening all,

I hope you don't object to me asking, but would the entire replacement of a cable from an existing circuit (exiting from the circuit breaker), be regarded as Notifiable or Non Notifiable work?

The cable in question is for a cooker circuit and the reason I ask, is because it is not technically a New circuit.

Many thanks in advance.

Whether it is the same or not if you completely replace the circuit then yes it is.

Why are you asking?
Because I am not part of a competent person scheme and don't want to make the mistake of carrying out Notifiable work without going through BC.
It is possible to reroute the existing cable, but would that be permissible as an alteration under Non Notifiable?

Many thanks

Last edited:
If you reroute or extend the cable then its non notifiable as its not new unless the work is in a special location then it is notifiable because of the location no matter what you do.

Just reread that and hope it makes sense.

Whether it is the same or not if you completely replace the circuit then yes it is.

If you reroute or extend the cable then its non notifiable as its not new unless the work is in a special location then it is notifiable because of the location no matter what you do.

Just reread that and hope it makes sense.

There you go

2 opposing views.

He is not installing new ............ as in new circuit, he's replacing a cable using the same OCPD
Doesn't matter it requires notification if you completely replace a circuit whether use use the same device or not.

not sure I agree with this. MWC and move on
This is the reason for my original question. It seems a grey area to me, for using the OCPD, it is not technically a New circuit. Is there a Body whom I am able to contact for clarification?

Thanks again to all who have contributed. It is much appreciated.