Nowt so strange as Folk!? AKA {Old gits computer reunion memories!}

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first computer was a tatung Einstein. Just remember the time it took to load a game and run something from disk lol. It had games like chucky egg and frogger where you had to jump the frog across the logs. Imagine what kids would say about it now lol.

I had some very old machines, many as mentioned above, I did do computer programming, Cobol, not many people left who even know what language that was :)

ZX spectrum 48,

how I loved that machine.............

and,,,,,

when I got a colour tv for my bedroom,

well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

beta than P*** , not that I knew it then!!! :slap

all Id ever had before that was my brothers atari 1600.

then suddenly 'commando' !

wow,!

a real arcade game in my bedroom,

mind, I did have an adaptor and an Epsom(I think) joystick.!

didnt you just hate it when after 5 mins of wailing noise on the edge of your seat it hadnt loaded properly cos it crashed?!!!

Im still convinced it was in the first 30secs but didnt tell you till the very end!!!!

and your mate that could copy games cos he had a posh tape to tape player at home in the 'HI-FI' , best friend or what???????

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:36 ----------

I had my 1st email address in about 94, again academic, with my 1st laptop about the same time too or there abouts.Was programming cnc machines for the machine builder on field service!

Win 3.11

May have a look into virtual box, is this win, or linux or both, coz if it were linux it may sort a few of my probs out!
sidey,

you can use VB under linux/ubuntu,

if your pc is powerful enough,(and yours most likely is), it will run windows as a programm in ubuntu, so you dont need to exit ubuntu to run ANY windows program, and unlike WINE, it doesnt pretend to be windows, it actually is WINDOWS, you do need a proper WINDOWS install disk to work this though,

PM me if you have any issues with this, [bit]

Yes thanks Steps, I found this bit last night!

I may have a go as soon as I get a chance.

I have installed and set up VMWare in the past, so I am guessing it will be a bit like that I have the installer for Ubuntu (LTS) already downloaded.

It may work!

My first computer was a tatung Einstein. Just remember the time it took to load a game and run something from disk lol. It had games like chucky egg and frogger where you had to jump the frog across the logs. Imagine what kids would say about it now lol.
Frogger, didn't almost every type of computer have a version of this log and lilly leaf river jumping game? and it was on the arcade machines in pubs and amusement arcades as well.

Doc H.

Frogger, didn't almost every type of computer have a version of this log and lilly leaf river jumping game? and it was on the arcade machines in pubs and amusement arcades as well.Doc H.
For me Frogger was the best Arcade game ever, I spent a fortune on it, but somhow it never translated from the Arcade to the home computer, probably the lack of beer at home :(

And I do know about COBOL (its a pain to use), and despite what you may think I'ts stil alive and well, as far as i know ther are still more lines of COBOL code out there than there are the MS stuff.

COBOL is defined as legacy code by MS.

I cant disagree, my definition of legacy code is something that has had the bugs fixed and works :)

For the record my first computer was a ZX81 that i built bought in kit form and had to solder up myself, i then got a Spectrum.

My first encounter with windows was Windows 1.0 and I've worked with every version since, As far as I'm concerned the be t version of windows was 3.1, after that they tried to claim they had an oprerating system.

I know all responses arent to Docs quoute but the frogger one just got me thinking :)

On the subject of Computer Games , my neighbour's son, aged about 20, has, since they moved in 3 and half years ago, spent about 98% of that period in his room, on some game . He doesn't work so awakes around 2.00PM , this is heralded by a burst of awful angry sounding ©rapping so called music.

He then goes into battle on this stuff until 3.00 to 4.00 AM the following morning.

If I'd done this when I lived with parents, my Dad would have wanged the PC into the nearest skip and told me to "Get a job 'cos as of next week we stop feeding you " :C

I asked my neighbour about the son , they said " What can you do , he's over 18"

Back in my younger days as a service engineer/programmer working on electronic calculating time recording machines we had to go to site loading and programming shift rules into various types of factory clocking-in machines...

The early portable Luggable PC was the Osborne..

with a 5inch black & white screen!!!!

Osborne 1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then a jobbie with a big screen .. All 9inches of it

AND with 16 shades of green, (not colour.. just ALL greens!), was the Kaypro..

File:Kaypro 10.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Course both of these luggable beasties had to have mains power to work them...

and they only had a pair 5.25" floppies..

one for the OS and one for your program files!!!!

and they were using CPM not DOS..

Then we got the dogs man-veg

a Toshiba T1100+

Proper real battery operated laptop..

2 x 3.5" disks

and we had now changed to DOS...

T-series T1100 Plus

We had a desk top in the office with a 5.25" & a 3.5" drive & a program called "media master" that could convert data between the CPM formatted files & the DOS files!

Still NO hard disks tho yet!!!!

We finally progressed only real battery laptop with hard disk on a

Compaq LTE 286.

1x 3.5" floppy

and a Massive 20MegaByte Hard disk!!!!!!!!!

Compaq LTE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(the bosses to to stingy to supply us the 40Megabyte jobbie))

The ruddy world was your oyster with one of these...

could run any program no matter how big with ALL that space!!!!!

ah the good ole days!!! :Salute :Blushing:)

Ok, space invaders, the first reall arcade game, then we had colour space invanders, this meant they stuck a perspex screen with different colours on so as the baddies moved down the colour changed :)

Hi guys,

This thread brings back memories I can certainly relate to, I used to have an Amstrad CPC 464 - a horrible green screen thing with a tape drive and a programming manual as thick as a phone book.

I spent a whole day typing in code from the book just to make a little dot scroll across the screen and make a bit of noise!

Still it was a far superior machine to my friends "Acorn Electron" or so I kept telling myself even though his was full colour!

Just to add, I don't know if anybody has seen this film called "Micro Men" made for BBC 4? It stars Alexander Armstrong from Armstrong and Miller as Clive Sinclair (Sinclair Research) and also Martin Freeman from The Office as Chris Curry (Acorn). It's a very funny film all about how they became rivals and spent all their time and energy trying to upstage each other. It goes onto say at the end if they had joined forces and put aside their small minded petty differences, then Acorn and Sinclair could have been the start of something massive in the UK maybe as big as IBM. However, that said Acorn went on to become ARM and have processors in nearly every mobile device you can mention.

MicroMen

For Me, Atari 520ST Bubble Bobble, the good old days.AndyGuinness
Same here I was trying to remember the name of the game! i think i also used to play lemmings, i think it required numerous floppy disks? very long time ago.