Off Grid Solar Array into Household

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelo271

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2kw off-grid solar array on my shed / garage feeding into an inverter which is feeding a consumer unit that runs lights / sockets etc.

Power is stored in a 6 volt battery bank of four 250Ah batteries.

Given the price of electricity, could someone please let me know (in laymans terms), how I can start using the energy generated in my solar array to feed my household electricity.

Thanks

Mike

Hi, no there is no mains power to the garage. This is one of the main reasons that the solar was installed to provide power to the shed / garage.

Ah ok, and would this replace the off grid inverter that I currently have or would I add the grid tied inverter as well?
you would have to replace your current inverter with a 'grid tied' unit to be legal when connected to the grid. Obviously you will need mains leccy in the garage first.

you would have to replace your current inverter with a 'grid tied' unit to be legal when connected to the grid. Obviously you will need mains leccy in the garage first.
Thanks Binky

Why do I need mains leccy to the garage? Can I not run an armoured cable back to the house?

To
how I can start using the energy generated in my solar array to feed my household electricity.
To supply the house from your solar, obviously you need a cable to the house.
This will mean that when there's no solar generation, electricity from the house will power the garage.
The Inverter will need to be a Grid-Tied unit, to phase the solar AC to the house AC.
Unless you arrange for parts of the house wiring to be switchable to Off-Grid.

Why do my problems start there?
Yes, it is my land between the house and garage.

I've seen a few off grid solution installed because the garage is completely separate from the property so running a cable isn't possible.

As its you land then you need to do the calcs on the cable run, load etc .......