[Off Topic] Another Puppy + Cat Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisjordan

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I have a six-month-old German Shepherd who is largely (>90%) purebred. For his breed, he's also on the "large" end of the scale (example: at 12 weeks he was 25 pounds). The cats, understandably, are not fond of his size.

These two wild cats (bonded siblings) have been with us since they were 10 weeks old, and they are now five years old. Until I acquired my puppy in March, they were just pets. They were initially intrigued, but once the puppy awoke (he was in a play enclosure at the time) to one of them gazing at him and barking, hate developed.

My guy simply wants to play (we wouldn't let it even if the other pets were fine with it; he's too large and clumsy at the moment). The cats puff up, snarl, and hiss if he goes too close, but the distance fluctuates between short and long. They are willing to gaze at him and keep a safe distance from him, as if he were in his box. But, because they don't trust him, they become scared and go to their litter box, even while he's in his crate (other side of room from litter box, litter box concealed).

He, on the other hand, will BARK if he hears the litter box or if people stare at him.

He's had great Sit and Leave It abilities so far, and he's growing better at ignoring them. An cat + dog behaviorist was contacted, and their techniques are sluggish. Anyone have any more suggestions???

Latest posts