office power and data

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orbital

Reaction score
Would appreciate some advice on office wiring.

Only ever worked on domestic but went to have a look at a job for an office

the power and data is distributed via skirting trunking.

the client wants extra data and power sockets added to the trunking.

Power wise I am fine, its the data connections I am unsure about. how are these generally wired?

Each desk will have a phone and computer and they will be about 25 desks over a couple of floors

For the phones how would that many outlets be connected. would each point need its own cable. Are the outlets 'daisy chained'?

Anybody got any sites where I can read up on this, or offer some advice.

many thanks

network cabling is quite simple and a little boring to do..

If you have 25 desks then you will need 50 points (25 for tel and 25 for comps) you will need to connect these back to a patch panel it would be better to install all points as RJ45's that way you can choose to have any or the points as tel or comp's just makes life easier in the future.

Cat 5e cable comes in a box and is 305m long, the connections are easy and are color coded each side (patch panel and RJ45 outlet)

Just be carefull to get the connections the same both ends there are 8 wires twisted into pairs

orange with a white stripe, white with a orange stripe

brown with a white stripe, white with a brown stripe

green with a white stripe, white with a green stripe

blue with a white stripe. white with a blue stripe

Just note unless you test this with a Cat 5e tester you cannot say it is cat 5e

HTH

Forgot to say each point needs its own cable

As above post. wire every point back to a central patch panel then configure each point as its needed. You will need RJ45/BT adaptors on the outlets you want to use for phones. Also 2 ways of connecting 468A and 468B as long as its the same at both ends it doesnt matter which.

And dont be worried, I knew nothing about data untill I moved a panel, still dont!, but it all worked! And did a few jobs on the back of it very well.

i do domestics mate but was on a job with another spark who i somtimes work for, wiring a call center, so much cat5, ran in cable tray and dado trunking,

we installed power for sockets and air-con and pulled in cat5, like said comes in box 305m, there was loads of the stuff are you doing everything, we just pulled in the cat5 labled each end for some one else to connect up

i can remember a job a few years back in a large office. all the cables had to drop down from 2nd floor to ground, so on 1st floor was a large bundle of cables. must have been 30-35cm diameter, all cable tied together and to a tray

As above post. wire every point back to a central patch panel then configure each point as its needed. You will need RJ45/BT adaptors on the outlets you want to use for phones. Also 2 ways of connecting 468A and 468B as long as its the same at both ends it doesnt matter which.
Rev I think you find it's 568A or 568B,

As to the OP

the convention is to use 568B and I'd recommend you stick with B

the only difference is in which pins are used per colour pair, brown pair is the same on both

Keystones are colour coded, but plugs (RJ45 not correct name but in common usage) are not, this site will help but many other guides out there

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

I'd also invest in a punch down tool, cost less than

network cabling is quite simple and a little boring to do..If you have 25 desks then you will need 50 points (25 for tel and 25 for comps) you will need to connect these back to a patch panel it would be better to install all points as RJ45's that way you can choose to have any or the points as tel or comp's just makes life easier in the future.

Cat 5e cable comes in a box and is 305m long, the connections are easy and are color coded each side (patch panel and RJ45 outlet)

Just be carefull to get the connections the same both ends there are 8 wires twisted into pairs

orange with a white stripe, white with a orange stripe

brown with a white stripe, white with a brown stripe

green with a white stripe, white with a green stripe

blue with a white stripe. white with a blue stripe

Just note unless you test this with a Cat 5e tester you cannot say it is cat 5e

HTH

Forgot to say each point needs its own cable
Electekair , can you expound on the bit about testing with a cat5e tester ??

Yea the simple plug in wire map testers are only to tell you that you have no cross connections.

The Proper tester gives about 20 pages of info which includes attenuation, cross talk ect...

The tester normaly comes with two ear peices so that you can talk to the other pearson on the other end through the cat 5 cable to say pass or fail.

Did a course at CDC a few years back and was told using a tester like this is the only way you can be sure of a Cat 5e Installation

Keep the numbering simple, I find it easier to flag the ends of the cable and number them 1 - 50. I've seen it so many times where people start using different colour insulating tape and it gets a little confusing.

Don't forget any network printers, faxes etc they will need a point each.

Like the video mentions, keep the cables as short as poss from where you strip the sheath and don't un-twist the pairs to much - 13mm max if I remember right.

Try to leave enough cable to re-terminate at least once without kinking the cable to much.