Oh heck a fire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Called out this evening

"I have no power in any of my sockets, but the trips are all on"

Opened splitload cu & was greeted by a rather sooty interior (forgot to take a piccy) & the melted rcd.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/DSC00006.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/DSC00001.jpg

Not to clear from the picture but the neutral terminal (nearest my thumb) has been tightened right up missing the neutral tail, so the tail looks like it was probably sat loose in the socket behind the terminal clamp & not making direct contact.

The neutral tail had dropped out & ended up resting on the bussbar......pir label on the cu said it was tested last in 2007 & customer said they've had nothing done since the cu was changed Feb 2007.

How lucky were they.

I'm back tomorrow to put replacement MK rcd in, have fitted a merlinG as a stopgap.

:eek: :O

blimey....

could have been real nasty that one!

sounds like someone hasn't done the basic "pull on the conductor" make sure its gripped in the terminal check.. :|

I had an MCB once with a part knackerd thread...

felt like it was tight but never quite gripped the cable unless you were banging in something bigger than a 10mm! :(

I was called out to a production Bakery about 2 years ago

their original installers didn

Oh my, well boys & girls the cowboys are still doing their usual down here in Devon too.

Had a CU to rewire, nothing major. The muppet who put it in should be ashamed.

Now if only I had taken pics.

Basicaly it looked as if it was thrown together & all of the terminations had around 1"-2" copper showing on each Rcd/Rcbo.

When I opened the box the wires were like spagheti, they fell out over the trips?

When is the industry going to tighten up on this sort of thing?