Oh no not again (tn-c-s)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was thinking the other day about bloody awful hotel place I've been working on. The place has a couple of sign lights out front on main road supplied by part buried SWA cable from Tn-c-s supply. How do you keep such a set-up safe? You can't really TT a single cable to avoid mixing earthing arrangements? It is of course lacking water pipes etc etc, but wasn't it something like this that killed the horses the other day?

I think this may be one for Steptoe, :) , however if the system has been designed that way, permission or acceptance would have been obtained for the design to get approval. Any rcd on the system will provide protection should anything go to mass, and so avoid the devastating loss of horses that was reported the other week.

The Racecourse problem was some sort of main or sub-main supply. I think a final circuit with suitable RCD would be quite safe.

Doc H.

is the sign on a main road or on private land?

if its on private land then I see no difference to you having some garden lights,

providing you have proper RCD protection of course,

oh, and I know I shouldnt, but can I assume the post is metallic and buried in the ground? (and earthed via the lights etc.?)

Private ground, along side main road, sign is actually wooden. Circuit is RCDed, rest of it is abissmal - armour not connected, indoor grade lights used to illuminate sign, holes in IP boxes big enough for mice to nest in, and that was without looking closely ..

armour not connected?! Then where's the earth continuity for the RCD to be effective unless its using one of the cores for the CPC?

Was thinking the other day about bloody awful hotel place I've been working on. The place has a couple of sign lights out front on main road supplied by part buried SWA cable from Tn-c-s supply. How do you keep such a set-up safe? You can't really TT a single cable to avoid mixing earthing arrangements? It is of course lacking water pipes etc etc, but wasn't it something like this that killed the horses the other day?
Our step voltage is a little less than that of our four legged friends