OLCI 2330 level 3 written assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomo27

Reaction score
Good afternoon

I am studying with OLCI open learning , just wondering if any of the members on the forum are learning with the same company.

Also I have a question in reference to the written assessment for 2330 level , 16 questions on unit 2

Can anyone give me any ideas on what is likely to crop up in these questions , I would expect the questions to centre around protective devices , RCD , testings ,inspecting etc I heard a rumour 1 student had to draw an RCD i.e coils etc ?

Cheers

Ste

I'm not sure which of the two written exams you're talking about but I found them to be tougher than the GOLA multi-choice stuff. You've actually got to know the answer rather than recognise it if you know what I mean.

The diagrams I had to draw were an earth electrode test and continuity of a main protective conductor. I think I'd have struggled with the inner workings of an RCD.

My questions off the top of my head were things like :

What building materials might be required when installing flush mounted accessories?

What is a Permit to Work?

List 3 (or 5 can't remember) items that can be checked at the consumer unit?

List 5 things you should know before starting work on a new installation?

Not sure about the last question, could have been phrased differently, but I took it as things like type of supply, earthing system etc.

All I can say is read the questions properly, short concise answers to the point are better than a page of drivel.

Think of the bloke who has to mark it, and he's got another 50 to mark after yours!

I hope this has helped, it's Inspection and testing so know the order of tests and Certificates and basic safety stuff and that should cover 90% of it.

Other stuff like disconnection times of RCDs you should know anyway.

Anyway gone on too long now, tell us how it goes.B)

Good Luck

Taz

Cheers for your reply and sorry my late 1 , test is this Monday , it is the written test on installations and testings , the 2nd test will be fault finding , rectfification.

I'm not sure which of the two written exams you're talking about but I found them to be tougher than the GOLA multi-choice stuff. You've actually got to know the answer rather than recognise it if you know what I mean.The diagrams I had to draw were an earth electrode test and continuity of a main protective conductor. I think I'd have struggled with the inner workings of an RCD.

'Im ok with the above'

My questions off the top of my head were things like :

What building materials might be required when installing flush mounted accessories?

Building Materials ? I can think of the tools but materials , were they after wall plugs , plaster ?

What is a Permit to Work?

Im ok with this.

List 3 (or 5 can't remember) items that can be checked at the consumer unit?

RCD rating , which circuits are RCD protected, MET equopotential bonding

List 5 things you should know before starting work on a new installation?

Not sure about the last question, could have been phrased differently, but I took it as things like type of supply, earthing system etc.

' yeah Id think 2 or 3 phase , ZE,earthing system , PFC,site conditions ,

All I can say is read the questions properly, short concise answers to the point are better than a page of drivel.

Think of the bloke who has to mark it, and he's got another 50 to mark after yours!

I hope this has helped, it's Inspection and testing so know the order of tests and Certificates and basic safety stuff and that should cover 90% of it.

Other stuff like disconnection times of RCDs you should know anyway.

Anyway gone on too long now, tell us how it goes.B)

Good Luck

Taz

I think I'd have struggled with the inner workings of an RCD.It isn't that bad. Thomo, if you need a drawing of one, I have one somewhere (from college). I will scan it and put in here for you later - if you'd like.

It sounds like you're gonna do all right, you obviously have a decent amount of knowledge. Just be prepared for a question that you think "What the f*** are they on about?"

Oh and remember some of the questions you get because we'll want them posting on here to help others ;) (you'll probably remember more than I did)

Good Luck and I expect a post with how it went on Monday night, well ok Tuesday if it goes well.

I passed my written exam based on inspecting , testing and commisioning exam on monday , I have remembered a fair few of the questions I received and I also have some example questions that may well crop up on the final written test which is fault finding and rectification.

FAO Admin ,am I best posting the q's on here or PM those that want the questions ?

Regards

Stephen

I passed my written exam based on inspecting , testing and commisioning exam on monday , I have remembered a fair few of the questions I received and I also have some example questions that may well crop up on the final written test which is fault finding and rectification.FAO Admin ,am I best posting the q's on here or PM those that want the questions ?

Regards

Stephen
You could always PM Admin the questions and he can sort it from there for you.

You could always PM Admin the questions and he can sort it from there for you.
As the boss says above. It will be better for you to PM them to me or better to E-mail thm directly to me (see address below). And I will sort them out, so we don't get in trouble. ;) - Thanks Mate.

(My username)@electricianforum.co.uk

Regards,

Admin.

please i see u are doing open courses OCLI please would like to do as well but i am a bit confused could u advice me ? thanks.

What exactly would you like to know or what is it you are confused about ? Have you called the company to ask hem about the course and explain the agenda ?

I hope so , if companies have a problem with people doing the fasttrack then they are a bit short sighted , however there are people who complete the courses and then say 'ok thats me done Im going self employed' before picking up any experience.

Have u heard they aren't recognised in the job market? Surely its more about the qualification than how you have got it ?? Thoughts any1

I think you have summed it up nicely there. It's the same in any game not just sparks. You need the qualifications & the experience.

Some people may prefer a more traditional route into things but if you have the qualification through a fast track route, online course or by having a special microchip inserted in your brain at the end of the day you're all equal.

Everyone seems to think what they did was the best route - there are many ways to skin a cat! (I prefer dynamite) :^O

hi,new bloke here,good morning to ya all.need some help,its a big world.i am looking for electrical courses and i think so far the olci course is what i would like to do,i havent got any experience in electrical apart from a car stereo,but i am very interested and keen to start a career in it.,does anyone know if its a good course,i will do nvq level 3.for 12 weeks as part of the course i have to get a job with an electrician,and keep a portfolio,i thought this good as i get more practical than just the training workshops which is about twenty days or so.do electricians acknowledge this company and is it authorised to give out nvq'slevel3.?it is expensive but i have saved some money over time and have the time to complete this hopefully in 6 to 9 months.thankyou for your time .reg

Welcome to the forum Reg. I would recommend that you go down the college route.

hi,new bloke here,good morning to ya all.need some help,its a big world.i am looking for electrical courses and i think so far the olci course is what i would like to do,i havent got any experience in electrical apart from a car stereo,but i am very interested and keen to start a career in it.,does anyone know if its a good course,i will do nvq level 3.for 12 weeks as part of the course i have to get a job with an electrician,and keep a portfolio,i thought this good as i get more practical than just the training workshops which is about twenty days or so.do electricians acknowledge this company and is it authorised to give out nvq'slevel3.?it is expensive but i have saved some money over time and have the time to complete this hopefully in 6 to 9 months.thankyou for your time .reg
Welcome Reg

you, by any chance, a fireman?

i sat mine a couple of week ago, and they are not that hard if you put the time in....

they link asking u to draw symbols, cable calculations, test results, certificates and paper work stuff.... good luck, let us know how u get on.....

matt