Old and new consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rsing

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m looking for some advice please. I am in a relatives house and looking at their consumer unit/fuse board it seems as though the old one was left attached to the board when the new one was installed. Is this normal practice? Also, the wires are not enclosed and go into the unit through holes at the top and bottom. Everything working fine, I would just like to know this is safe? Thanks in advance. 

Can you post a picture somewhere?

Could it be the old one used to be for off peak storage heaters?  I often see it where people have had a new CU for the main circuits but never bothered to update the storage heater fuse box.

Top and bottom cable entry is fine as long as the entry holes are an appropriate size.

Hi Dave

thanks very much for your reply. I’m not really sure how to post a photo sorry! Really new to this. 

post your pictures on any image hosting service and paste a link here. You can't upload pictures to the forum until you have made 10 posts.