Old dolly switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have suggested to a client that they replace a light switch with an old classic looking dolly switch, you know the Bakalite ones!!

Anyway I have had a look on the interweb and found a guy on ebay selling some and also an Australian site selling them (they will export to UK - and advertise as such) although theirs are made to "Australian standards" and not BS.

So the questions are... :x

a. Are the Australian ones a comparable standard and suitable for use here? :|

b. Does anyone know of another manufacturer / website that I can get some comparison (price wise)Pray

Cheers.

Just got some polished brass ones from Hamilton Litestat (http://www.hamilton-litestat.com/classic_products.php, ordered via QVS) which seem fine - or rather all was fine until other half decided they clashed with the kitchen's socket outlet front plates (black nickel). So now they are being relocated to another part of the house. Grrrr X(

Other options are Holloways of Ludlow (http://www.hollowaysofludlow.com) and Bromleighs Switches and Sockets (no website), but they are more expensive.

Hi,I have suggested to a client that they replace a light switch with an old classic looking dolly switch, you know the Bakalite ones!!

Anyway I have had a look on the interweb and found a guy on ebay selling some and also an Australian site selling them (they will export to UK - and advertise as such) although theirs are made to "Australian standards" and not BS.

So the questions are... :x

a. Are the Australian ones a comparable standard and suitable for use here? :|

b. Does anyone know of another manufacturer / website that I can get some comparison (price wise)Pray

Cheers.
I believe that if any electrical equipment is to be fitted and does not have a BS or CE mark it can still be fitted if you can prove that that the standard of manufacture is equal or better to that relevant BS/CE standard,

I believe that if any electrical equipment is to be fitted and does not have a BS or CE mark it can still be fitted if you can prove that that the standard of manufacture is equal or better to that relevant BS/CE standard,
That may be the case but it's your neck on the line when the 5 year old is electricuted :|

Has anyone actually fitted any of these ? The modern switch fitted in these has its terminals exposed to the wooded mounting block.
so?

What you thinking? Fire risk? Electricution? If they are BS then the powers that be can't be worried

:|

I thought this aswell, especially as it will be put onto a stained wooden cupboard... however with a mounting block they must be BS approved! So aslong as they are installed IAW manufacturers instructions then all must be OK PrayPray

Also I thought that the equivalent or higher standard was about the installation, not the accessories!! and if it did apply to accesories then how would you prove it.

I thought this aswell, especially as it will be put onto a stained wooden cupboard... however with a mounting block they must be BS approved! So aslong as they are installed IAW manufacturers instructions then all must be OK PrayPrayAlso I thought that the equivalent or higher standard was about the installation, not the accessories!! and if it did apply to accesories then how would you prove it.
Accessories to BS should have the number on it ie 1363 for sockets 60898 for mcb's all items have a BS number if they are to BS.

Batty

The Auz ones don't quote BS and you therefore have to assume they don't comply and therefore not good idea!
That's not strictly true. You can use imported items as long as they're equal or Greater quality than the BS number for it's UK equivalent. ;)

That's not strictly true. You can use imported items as long as they're equal or Greater quality than the BS number for it's UK equivalent. ;)
How would you prove that then Admin??

Surely you would need the appropriate BS document, the manfacturers data and the approval document from the country of manufacture.......then you would have to spend a fair bit of time verifying those standards

THen yu would need a few Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink