oldes cu I've seen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice bit of teak! In the local one night when the lights crapped out. Being the only spark in the place I was delegated. I whipped a few drivers & a torch out of the boot, scrambled across the bar top, shifted a few optics and came face to face with exactly the same setup. Trouble was it wasn't lead sheathed it was all wired in disintegrating VRI which was now expected to support a couple of microwaves, cellar eqpt, and all the catering and domestic loads. Inevitably further investigation on the Saturday afternoon threw up all sorts of nasties the worst of which was the discovery that sometime in the 18th century the floor voids had been loaded with bone dry wood shavings in some sort of attempt at lagging. It was through this 'tinder' that the fixed wiring (aka heating element) was run. I duly informed mein host who shrugged his shoulders and simply asked "yeah but can you get them working again for Monday?"

Crashed in a load of surface MT to get him up and running in the public areas at least but I always sat near the doors after that as in the case of an overheat the place would have gone up in 30 seconds flat!