On the radio

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
The wife came home from work the other day and told me something she found really funny, apparently she'd had the radio on at work and the presenter was talking about xmas lights, apparently he'd got them out for his wife to put up and one set didn't work. He rang a couple of electricians to come and look at them but was amazed at what they wanted to charge him, anywhere between 50 and 60 pounds, so he went out and bought a new set for about a tenner. He was moaning about how much electricians charge, what did he think someone was going to do, get in their van, drive to his house and repair them for a fiver? Honestly, who in their right mind would even think about repairing a cheap set of tree lights! It always gets me how people perceive us, an architect who charges about 60 quid an hour pulled a face one time when I told him I wanted 35 quid an hour to sort his problems out. Why should he think himself worth what he charges, but I'm not worth what I charge? Do they have no idea of how expensive some of our equipment is.

Why should he think himself worth what he charges, but I'm not worth what I charge? Do they have no idea of how expensive some of our equipment is.
How many more times do I have to tell you Phil  ,  remember you're just a "workman"   ....  now get round to the Tradesman's Entrance  before I have  you removed  from the Forum  :innocent !!!         Know your place man for God's sake !!!! 

ou don’t understand Phil they operate a COMPUTER so they must be worth more than you coz you’re still on screwdrivers. 
Screwdrivers !!!  Good Grief man !!!!      

an architect who charges about 60 quid an hour pulled a face o
As the folk singer Woody Guthrie once said :

As through this world I travelled 

I met many crooked men 

Some will rob you with a six gun

And some with a fountain pen. 

I have many charge out rates...depending on who you are and when

standard rate

day rate

out of hours rate

bank holidays rate

Granny Rate

then there is, Architects, Dentists, Doctors, Tw@ts, Estate Agents, Garages ( especially Main Dealers ) rates . This is usually at least double the previous rates and then some.  If they are charging £75/100 to plug in a fault code reader and kick the tyres then they are by default going to pay me the same rate OR more for getting them out of the faeces. If they don't like it they can go elsewhere! However if I then get called to,the same fault that they have had El Cheapo Charlie try to fix the price goes up