One of the differences between employed & SE

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is  your tools last longer , as in 20 yrs  sometimes .  

When you are self employed ..........

1)  Rules don't get stolen  , the markings wear off them . 

2)   I never buy drill bits  , they don't get stolen , I've sharpened  the same ones now for 20 yrs .

3)   When employed , power drills  never had chuck keys , they would be long lost , chucks were battered & bashed .   I have same chuck key  for at least 25yrs  .

4)   I'd say I'm better organised &  equipped than when employed  by the approximately  ten firms I worked for .

Stuff that springs to mind  when  employed  ......... all  step ladders are wobbly ...... drills have no chuck keys .... the back -stop is always missing from  the conduit bender...... using  smelly tallow on conduit instead of cutting paste .... tank cutters are the cheapo Enox brand instead of Starret or similar.  ......   one firm  always seemed to think   6 x 6 trunking meant 4 x 4   and the only time you'd get a 12"  hacksaw blade is when actually using  6 x 6 trunking . ....other wise it was always a 10"  .   .....on finishing towards end of contract  , all AD boxes would have the lids missing ...if the lid WAS there  the screws would be missing  and of course  half the trunking lids would be missing .    

Oooops  :  Forgot the main bugbear .......... if  you were moved off a site  to another  .......everything that didn't work , any wiring missed out  etc was always YOUR fault . 

Last edited by a moderator: