Options when DNO says limit to zero export for a PV install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndlman

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I'm curious on opinions and options for PV setups where the DNO has essentailly limited exports to zero, but where there is still a desire to draw power from the grid for the purpose of battery charging off peak when required.

has anybody ever setup a PV/battery instance in this way? Looking for an array size of around 10 - 11kW with whatever size battery storage makes sense.

The only think I can think of at the moment is a generic off-grid model, but with the grid as the backup rather than a genny, but I'm assuming this will come with hidden compleities and gotchas which I've not yet considered, thus asking for opinions from those who may have come across this before.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
they can't limit you to zero, by law they have to allow 16A or 3.6 kW, however, you can get G100 inverters with power limitation feature, and there's little point exportng to the gird with no FiT payments. For 10-11 kw you are into 3 phase supply territory, or you will need multiple single phase inverters.

they can't limit you to zero, by law they have to allow 16A or 3.6 kW, however, you can get G100 inverters with power limitation feature, and there's little point exportng to the gird with no FiT payments. For 10-11 kw you are into 3 phase supply territory, or you will need multiple single phase inverters.
Thanks for your feedback. The plan was multi single-phase inverters.

Interesting, I'm gonna have to clarify with the DPO further as they've explicitly stated in this case that it "would need to be limited to zero export due to voltage rise on the network".

I was under the impresion 3.68kW was the max you can export before needing approval.

I've a feeling somebody is telling porkies or worded something very poorly, or the network in the area (as I anticipate due to many issues) is on it's last legs.

Thanks for your feedback. The plan was multi single-phase inverters.

Interesting, I'm gonna have to clarify with the DPO further as they've explicitly stated in this case that it "would need to be limited to zero export due to voltage rise on the network".

I was under the impresion 3.68kW was the max you can export before needing approval.

I've a feeling somebody is telling porkies or worded something very poorly, or the network in the area (as I anticipate due to many issues) is on it's last legs.
if the network is so ******** they can't even accept 3.68kW, then it's upto the DNO to improve the network at no cost to yourself. In one case this meant replacing the local pole transomer at a cost of £13k, which they tried originally to charge my customer for.

if the network is so ******** they can't even accept 3.68kW, then it's upto the DNO to improve the network at no cost to yourself. In one case this meant replacing the local pole transomer at a cost of £13k, which they tried originally to charge my customer for.
Interestinggggggggggggg..... I can see this getting spicy!. Thank you, lots of things for me to go and read up on. really appreciate your feedback :)

The battery inverter will be part of the export calculation by the DNO, therefore this could use up the G98 allowance of 3.68. I have a total export limit of 4.5 kW. I have to limit my export on one of my PV arrays to 1kW.
My setup
3kW inverter for battery storage
3.68kW Solar FIT payment
Additional 5kW solar no fit or seg payment limited to 1kW export.
Apply via G99 , ensure the solar inverter is G100 compliant. And you should be good to go.

Morning All,

I'm struggling to find a reference that states (in law) that the DNO must accept up to 3.6kw/16A. the DNO are adiment that it must be capped to zero, so I want to go wage war on the grounds that if they have to update the infra to accept 3.6... then they can likely accept a larger value as part of that upscale and unlock what we ultimately want.

can anybody point me to a reference that states they have to accept some export?

have a look at OFGEM or MCS sites, OFGEM is probably the best place to look,

Thought I would follow up. DNO still demanding zero export, but I made some progress with them budging on the size of the inverter we can install. They accepted Solar Edge kit because the battery is DC-coupled. They will only throw up an objection when it's AC-coupled.

I did call Ofgem as I couldn't find it documented. They gave me another department to call to review with as they didn't know the answer. Still on my to-do list

We have been denied an AC coupled inverter as it would exceed export limits. The inverter I intended to install was a Solis 3kw. The manufacturer still hasn't replied to my request confirming G100 compliance. If it is, should the DNO accept my application?

Yep. That's the one. Cheers Binky. DNO had this model of inverter on the G99 application. But not the cert.
Should they allow me to have this? They didn't say I could limit export. Just ' It's too much generation'. I should say they called me rather than confirmed by email.

Yep. That's the one. Cheers Binky. DNO had this model of inverter on the G99 application. But not the cert.
Should they allow me to have this? They didn't say I could limit export. Just ' It's too much generation'. I should say they called me rather than confirmed by email.
if it's limited to zero export then it can't be too much, however they may want proof of the inverter being set for that, ie a photo of the settings screen.

you should be able to find one of these for your inverter

Hi Binky... At the risk of hijacking a thread.. If you have the G100 cert for the RHI-6K-48ES-5G could you share please ??

I'm just preparing the info for the DNO (UK Power Networks) but can't find it on the Solis website.

TIA

EDIT:

Never mind... finally got it from Solis UK support...

In case anyone else needs it I'll leave it here as it covers all the new (5G) series of Solis Hybrid Inverters

Attachments

• RHI-(3-5)K-48ES_RHI-(3-6)K-48ES-5G - G100.pdf
    305.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
If u put in a G98 application that can be done retrospectivly within 28 days of install so in that case they have to accept 3.68kw per phase export they have no choice. This might force their hand to upgrading your feed?

Hi Binky... At the risk of hijacking a thread.. If you have the G100 cert for the RHI-6K-48ES-5G could you share please ??

In case anyone else needs it I'll leave it here as it covers all the new (5G) series of Solis Hybrid Inverters
Can I just say how useful it was for you to share this G100 certificate for RHI-6K-48ES-5G as it is listed as N/A on the ENA register and I couldn't find it anywhere else.

You're most w
Can I just say how useful it was for you to share this G100 certificate for RHI-6K-48ES-5G as it is listed as N/A on the ENA register and I couldn't find it anywhere else.
You're most welcome ;)(y)

Edit....Just to add... Solis UK support ( https://solis-service.solisinverters.com ) Have been pretty helpful, worth registering there if you have one of their inverters. They have all the wiring diagrams, setup guides, certificates and are pretty quick to respond to tickets.

Last edited:

I'm just preparing the info for the DNO (UK Power Networks) but can't find it on the Solis website.

TIA

EDIT:

Never mind... finally got it from Solis UK support...

Glenns, how did you get on with your DNO application to UK Power Networks. I'm looking to do the same and hoping I might pick your brains. Also, many many thanks for the links/docs - I needed them!