other trades anyone?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RookieDI

Reaction score
just a quick question.

With the economic climate looking likes it going to get worse is anyone thinking of adding another trade to their skill set?

I keep hearing that what with the construction industry ground to a halt and many of the spark contractors also looking work things may get a bit sparce

any thoughts?

im a dab hand at plastering (can do full walls to a reasonable fininsh!!) so i will always either price for or do the making good work aswell. also ok at plumbing so would consider doing a bit of that if work got a bit slow.

Erm if it's getting quiet for sparks then surley getting quiet in other trades? If that's the case then why compete against plumber/plasterer etc who needs work and can do it better and faster than you?

How would you feel if all the plumbers took electrical courses for the same reason?

Think it's best to stick to what you know IMO :D

How would you feel if all the plumbers took electrical courses for the same reason?

A lot of plumbers have become part p even if it is just defined scope. ;)

works work mate, i do a lot of work for a local housing developer and he generally does his owning plumbing work (trained in commercial plumbing), he offered me the plumbing wrk on his next project which i refused simply because im too busy, plus i can fit bathroom suites and tile etc to very high standards so i dont have any quarms aout doing the work. thats life. thers plenty of plumbers out there who fit an electric shower and dont even test the circuit there connecting into (i.e taking our work)

Erm if it's getting quiet for sparks then surly getting quiet in other trades? If that's the case then why compete against plumber/plasterer etc who needs work and can do it better and faster than you?How would you feel if all the plumbers took electrical courses for the same reason?

Think it's best to stick to what you know IMO :D
That the problem. Every other trade is going on 2 week electrical courses and taking work away from me, so why should i loose sleep if i take work from them. A couple of months ago i put up a stud wall. Customer was over the moon that he did not have to write several checks and have different trades in the house

plus to be honest we can pobable do a better job as well, spesh when you got a dewalt horizontal/vertical laser level! i will never loose any sleep by doing some other trades work.

Not so much a trade but I have/had a fallback as an Open Water Diving Instructor, trouble is that it's heavily dependant on disposable income so not much f*cking use really.

I am also a fully qualified & time served conservation stone mason & fully qualified fire fighting instructor (a thing I did with the MOD)

I am also a fully qualified & time served conservation stone mason & fully qualified fire fighting instructor (a thing I did with the MOD)
Wow, ABC. Applaud Smiley

In one of my previous careers I was an IT consultant - stupid money but no life. I've since downshifted, to a librarian-type job with wee wee pay, and it would be soul destroying to go back to if money was tight. As a fallback I would do one-on-one maths tutoring but would prefer any outdoor work - nothing like a nice cuppa after a day's gardening in the mud and rain :D

I'm here on THE electrician forum because doing domestic sparky work later on could be another source of income for me. I love learning the knowledge and doing the practice. I can do plastering and plumbing but electrics give me the real thrill. I promise to abide by all forms of good practice....oh this is turning into a Scouts honour thing... Sorry for waffling on Blushing.

It's nice to chat :) , time for a beer? Guiness Drink

TT, you were'nt waffling mate..... I knew what you meant.

As for gardening, it keeps me sane, I love it. :)

How about training up as one of those new energy assessor's
You mean one of those interfering, statist, unthinkingly lackwitted, parasitic & pig-ignorant buttmonkeys who will be told to f*** right off should one come a'knocking seeking entry to chez Carter? Anyone know how much are they being paid? sorry, how much we are paying them? I can see this progam being dramatically ramped up over the next year as HMG try to stem the rise in unemployment. Alistair 'whack-a-mole' Darling explicitly said he was going to rollout an expansion of the public sector and development of environmental 'industries' so this would tick both his little boxes. Hey while were at it let's give them statutory powers of entry or failure to comply with a reasonable request to be punishable by.....ooooooh waddya think Jaqui?.......

Gardening - that isn`t a love, it`s a punishment!

In answer to the o/p - I`ll happily do domestic repairs ( unofficial tagline:if it has wires, we`ll do it)

I can also do plumb-its. It`s actually amazing the similarities between the two trades:eek:

I`ll kitchen / bathroom fit if required (except butt/scribe joints - me & routers had a BIG argument aeons ago, and I`ll never speak to one again!

I`m also becoming pretty good at project management - not a problem IF you can "switch it off" at the end of the day.......

Plus, Mrs. KME has become damn good at design; wsp. lighting for domestic / commercial environments.