OTT ? / Over zealous ? / Over reaction ? / Jobsworth?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering .    A fellow customer in the wholesalers  seemed to be faffing about a bit  ,  he left after about 20 mins  .   The guy I know on the counter  says  "   How important do you take this  not mixing MCBs in boards  ?  Only he,s been here an hour , couldn't make up his mind whether  to take a different make "  

Apparently he wanted an RCBO  to fit a Memera board  ,  kept looking at an Eaton  RCBO ,  & a Lewden , putting it back ,  muttering about the mixing accessories rule ,  worrying about it .   A sparky I know told him there were pods available  but expensive ,   I told him if he was concerned , to wire out to new enclosure & stick whatever he can buy in it  or go for a board change . 

Thing is  ,  he 'd been there an hour ,  so lets say thats  £25   thrown at the problem already .     They show up on Google  but he spends an hour  on the counter ..... if it were me & I thought there would be a problem I'd have removed say,  a 6A  , as a pattern , put all  the  lights on one circuit , temp,  & found a  brand that fitted  & left the   MAP   (Mixed Accessory Police )  to track me down .  

Are many people bothering with this no mix and match carp?

Seems few people are bothering with RCD protection for changes to lighting circuits too

Sign

So if my CU catches fire and all plastic melts into a blob should I expect the Manufacturers make and model stamp to remain visible? 
Yes it is as indestucatbale as the label on Imperial Leather soap

That will,be one of the few things left after a nuclear war...along with cockroaches, Certsure, estate agents and Diane Abbott

as indestucatbale as the label on Imperial Leather soap
And  whatever glue they use to stick it to the soap  !!    That is SOME good gear !!!

Seems few people are bothering with RCD protection for changes to lighting circuits too
Yet to meet anyone who fits the Anti Arcing things   or the  over voltage  devices .       Last time I asked my wholesaler , none had been sold.    

All new work has the correct breakers  but as I said before , if I was never coming back to a job  and only had a "rogue"  breaker I'd fit it .    Obviously it would be made to the relevant standard so I'd lose no sleep . 

Have to say a mix n match  board looks carp  but lines have to be drawn .  

Last edited by a moderator:
So if my CU catches fire and all plastic melts into a blob should I expect the Manufacturers make and model stamp to remain visible? 

The minute it is identified as a CU fire, squads of forensic police & fire investigation officers with be analysing the composition of all melted components to identify make and model of all relevant equipment and  the underlying cause. So as to ensure it will Never happen again, just like with any serious fire involving loss of life or damage to building structure. 

Doc H.   

The minute it is identified as a CU fire, squads of forensic police & fire investigation officers with be analysing the composition of all melted components to identify make and model of all relevant equipment and  the underlying cause. So as to ensure it will Never happen again, just like with any serious fire involving loss of life or damage to building structure. 

Doc H.   
well if that’s the only time they’ll check then I’m with @Evans Electric I’ll take me chances!! 

Forget the MCB electric police....

It would just be nice if someone checked that ALL 13A fused spurs can actually carry a 13A load!!!!!!!!!!!  :|  

:C

From one of todays jobs...

IMG_9233.JPGIMG_9239.JPG

Fused Spur switch contacts getting warm melting the toggle bit to operate the actual switch!!

( plus it was supplied from a single RCD board..  That is Plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Had to work under-cover imitating a non-English speaking person to avoid..  Electric Police detection..

:innocent

Sign
 I try to avoid it, but .....

As for RCd on lights - not on existing ccts unless I am modifying in a significant way, eg a new kitchen and lots of downlighters, but then I tend to install this as a new cct.

Would that be a BG product perchance?

just buy curious!

"Knightsbridge"...

https://www.mlaccessories.co.uk/product/1191523/screwless-13a-switched-fused-spur-unit-brushed-chrome

If you borrow Deke's illuminated magnifier....

and you zoom the picture up a bit...   

You can just make out  "SF6300BC"  printed in black on the R/H side of the photo....  :innocent

( Had to do that myself to suss at what ,make it was..    :D

As I had only gone to do the fault, never fitted the original! )

Guinness

Just looking at the above link  supposed to have a 15year warranty?

at the above link  supposed to have a 15year warranty?
Warranty only applies whilst it is in its packaging

take it out of its packet and it's guarantee is as good as that of the 'cattle shed that employs people wearing orange pinnies that insist on calling you mate and who's piss poor level of customer service and reneging on warranties is verging on the criminal"

Warranty only applies whilst it is in its packaging

take it out of its packet and it's guarantee is as good as that of the 'cattle shed that employs people wearing orange pinnies that insist on calling you mate and who's piss poor level of customer service and reneging on warranties is verging on the criminal"
HHhhhmmmm!  Sounds familiar .  Haven't mentioned that before  by any chance ?   

Did I ever tell you abou........"

At first I thought no, do tell us. But on second thoughts, now you come to mention it, it may have slipped out once, or twice, or maybe even three or more times. Possibly in-between posts declaring your admiration of the long and accomplished career of Bruce F.

Doc H.

Ideal Christmas gift for Kerch  would be one of those little red apron things , as worn by mature helpers in a certain DIY shed .        ( Don't actually print the name  ...Kerch has installed software on here that will recognise the name and will fry your PC )