OTT ? / Over zealous ? / Over reaction ? / Jobsworth?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet to meet anyone who fits the Anti Arcing things   or the  over voltage  devices .       Last time I asked my wholesaler , none had been sold.    
Last time I was having a chat with my local wholesaler he said they didn't stock them and had never been asked for them and they didn't plan on stocking them anytime soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats interesting Ung ,  so up  near Wigan  wholesaler  is not stocking them , here in  North B,ham  wholesaler not stocking them .   

i don't know a sparks who has fitted any .

So,  how are other Forumites dealing with the great movement toward Anti - Arcing  & Lightening strike jobbies  in boards ..is the trade in general bothering or not ? 

Thats interesting Ung ,  so up  near Wigan  wholesaler  is not stocking them , here in  North B,ham  wholesaler not stocking them .   

i don't know a sparks who has fitted any .

So,  how are other Forumites dealing with the great movement toward Anti - Arcing  & Lightening strike jobbies  in boards ..is the trade in general bothering or not ? 
I suspect a lot of us are just saying, oh gawd not more nonsense to ignore. Only got to put up with this rubbish for another 3 years.

I suspect a lot of us are just saying, oh gawd not more nonsense to ignore. Only got to put up with this rubbish for another 3 years.

that about sums my position up - I have taken to applying common snese  :innocent .  I have also taken to making my views clear to my annual assessor that such items as AFDD are complete ****e and will not be fitted by me any time dfeore I can fly higher than the flying pig on a blue moon. 

I still can't get me head around the "omission" of the BS 7288 devices and the mandating of RCD's for lighting circuits - so when Mrs Smith wants a loft light - it can be VERY expensive ..............

I think some people need a reality check .   I come across guys who , on January 1st of a new set of Regs coming in ,   immediately dismiss the previous set as total rubbish ,

when in  fact they were the bee's knees , the dog's doohahs  the day before. 

There was stuff like condemning 6mm  main bonding  or   I was picked up by the NIC man of time for  using up green earth cable  when the yellow stripe was added . 

Or these days there are sparks who carry a crucifix to hold up against a PVC  consumer unit when they see one . 

Top marks go to the sparky I worked with years ago whose interpretation of the Regs  was affected by  his own weird logic .       We had just started work on a new  build  school  , loads of steel conduit ,  on day one  he made a "runner"   and declared that , according to the Regs . that was it !  We can't do another runner on the whole school  installation .  6 months work ahead & no "runners"!! 

There was a reg  that  said  something about one "runner" only  in a particular section  ,   lets say the switch drop in a classroom  .  Didn't mean that was it for the whole damn building  but he was  convinced it did.    

Another instance was I 'm doing some work at a large "posh" house  at the board...a  bloke appeared and says "

You the sparks"  ?  

" Erm yep"  

" I'm British Gas , the earth clamp  is too far from the gas meter  you'll have to put it right  mate"

" Its not my earth clamp pal I just got here "  

"You'll still have to move it " 

" Do you know what ?  I don't give a stuff about how close the clamp is , if it worries you that much ...you do it.  

Like I'm the official earth clamp correction squad. 

Last edited by a moderator: