Ouside light wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joniemaximus

Reaction score
We've just moved into our new house and with the nights drawing in ive been looking at the current outside light setup.

The light above the front door i assumed was opperated using the dual gang switch by the front door with the other switch operating the inside hallway light.

However upon turning of the electric and opening the light ive since found out that the switch doesnt opperate anything i can find (mystery switch). My question is why would the outside light have 2 feeds. The setup has the lives joined in a connector block and the earths joined in another connector blocks but the grounds arent they are seperate. With the power back on one of the grounds makes a constant connection. The other doesnt, not even when using the switch.

Hi  Jonie     your use of the word "Grounds"  makes me think you are maybe in the US   .    This is a UK  Forum .  If thats the case we'd  like to help but there are some differences  between UK  & US   wiring methods  which make it difficult .  

Sorry been buried in automotive wiring and used ground by mistake. I've since found that the cabling was completed pre-2004 but rather than use 4 core they've used 2 sets of 2 core cable (black/red) without identifying the switching cable. I've identified the switching live and labelled everything accordingly. The wiring in this house amazes me and i have another question but i'll post it separately.