Outdoor sockets and plugs that are too big

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterJD

Reaction score
I thought I was being clever when I had several outdoor sockets installed around my detached house - perfect for using tools and, I imagined, Christmas lights.
Except that virtually everything you might ever want to plug in - except a plain extension lead - has some oversized plug which prevents the thing closing. Whether it's a plug with built-in DC converter or a smartplug.

I end up with a clunky weatherproof box (which never are) dangling off the socket to wrap around a short extension lead. Very untidy.
I tried to DIY a typical weatherproof box to fit over a socket so I could screw it onto the wall but the box was too shallow to shut once things were plugged in!

Now I want to plug an IP security camera into one of these sockets in a semi-permanent fashion. It comes with a 12V DC adapter mains plug that's too big to shut the box.
Are there any obvious products or tips I've not spotted to solve this kind of problem?

you can get enclosures with a socket in. basically a big box with removeable lid & seals for the flex. they are big & bulky compared to a normal outdoor socket, but there's plenty room for the plugs / adapters

I have one of these mounted next to my outdoor socket which houses remote switches for a pond pump, decking lights, and when I can be bothered, Christmas lights. It genuinely is waterproof with no problems after eight years. There can still be a depth problem plugging a transformer into a switch, but I use a short ( about six inch) extension lead to overcome that.
https://cpc.farnell.com/timeguard/wp401/connection-box-4-gang/dp/PL09045

That's the sort of thing I've used before, that always leak... but possibly just because I have inferior cheap versions. Although mine are the ones with clip lids not screw-on so that might be an issue too.

I still like the idea of mounting it on top of the socket - but I risk ending up ruining it cutting a hole in the back (again) :)

Thanks.

The screw lid is a bit of a pain to be fair, not least because the box has seven philips screws, (rather than PK like most of my drivers), but it seems effective for weatherproofing. If you wanted a socket inside you could do that. The box has a 20mm entry knockout marked at the bottom or I dare say you could make one (eg) in the back.

I wonder if they supply stainless screws... I have a few proper outdoor switches and even though they given you little plastic covers, the screws start to rust and inevitably will be unusable when I need to open them one day!

Anyway thanks @Geoff1946 this seems worth a go

The OP's problem is using one like that with a large plug i.e. DC convertor type and trying to close the lid to maintain the waterproofing.