outside flood lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
been asked to quote for 2 ground mounted floodlights to light up the front of the house .ive never fitted these so dont have a clue which are good and which are naff .opinoins welcome.

they will be about 10m apart and the furthest will be about 15m from the garage which is where the CU is,im thinking 6a rcbo for these 2 lights and into 1.5mm t+e into a switch in the garage then into swa before it goes outside ,then under the garden 600mm down into the lights which have dawn dusk sensors on them.this sound about right? its a pretty straight forward job just never done this before. thanks.

been asked to quote for 2 ground mounted floodlights to light up the front of the house .ive never fitted these so dont have a clue which are good and which are naff .opinoins welcome.they will be about 10m apart and the furthest will be about 15m from the garage which is where the CU is,im thinking 6a rcbo for these 2 lights and into 1.5mm t+e into a switch in the garage then into swa before it goes outside ,then under the garden 600mm down into the lights which have dawn dusk sensors on them.this sound about right? its a pretty straight forward job just never done this before. thanks.
As most floods are designed to point down I'd make sure the one you look at are designed to be pointed upwards and retain their IP rating.

Also ground fix the lights to big lumps of concrete which you will of dug a couple of holes for and poured. Try to encase the retaining bolt in the concrete while it sets.

my local wholesalers dont seem to stock em tho??any ideas where id get one from? ;)

Yeah...try Nasa... I think they use them to light the moon! :D

18,000Watts each!!! **** me.. instant sun tan!

D.

crikey ill never get the job if i quote for stuff like that:^O

Re; Outside floods.

M107 has probably the best idea, do'nt listen to the other guys , they think you are lighting Villa Park from the moon. Wind up! Could look at 250 watt Sodium, not too dear , lamps last for yonks. If you do'nt want the orange streetlamp colour you can fit white HQI lamps. Is it the green thing to do , lighting a house up all night long I wonder .

Deke