Outside Light!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Just wondered how much you guys charge on average for installing an outside light?

Also what is the best cable to use on the outside?

depends where you can get a feed from.... if its a 500w type light, spur from ring main in a bedroom, through wall, to light and your done. good access, and a short outside distance, probably an hours labour +

I was thinking that, but wouldn't it be just as quick and less messy to take it from the downstairs lighting circuit with the light being on a photocell or pir. only downside you lose the ability to overide.

I was thinking that, but wouldn't it be just as quick and less messy to take it from the downstairs lighting circuit with the light being on a photocell or pir. only downside you lose the ability to overide.
What's the breaker? What is the existing load?

On a 6A MCB 6*230 = 1,380W

You can't have too many 500W security lights on the circuit.......

and you dont often have a neutral at the switch either, so drilling through that isnt really an option

Thanks everyone for the replys.

hahaha, Evo, havent been called that since school, 10 years ago now!!!!!! :(

Unfortunately he was one of our schoolboy heroes , but not as heroic as Roy Rogers who rode Trigger the Wonder Horse. Is your surname Cassidy then ? I trust you are not a "Cowboy" in the British sense of the word !!!

i though Part L Allowed 500W flood as they are on a PIR and have a Photocell... therfore they will not be on for a long time..

???

i though Part L Allowed 500W flood as they are on a PIR and have a Photocell... therfore they will not be on for a long time..???
Have done the part P course and they say you cant put up a 500W light ??

Wonder what the neighbours will think about 500w of light flooding into ther houses everytime a cat goes by :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you are right....This is From Part L, B

External Lighting:

Fixed External Lighting means lighting fixed to an External surface of the dwelling supplies from the occupier's electrcial system. it excludes the lighting in common areas in blovk of flats and other access way lighting provided communally.

when provifing fixed external lighting, reasonable provision should be made to enable effective contol and/ or the use of efficient lamps

Such as:

A) EITHER: Lamp capacity does not exceed 150w per light fitting and the lighting automatically switched off:

i) when there is enough daylight

II) when it is not requires at night ; OR

B) The lighting fittings have sockets that can only be used with lamps having an efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuit - watt

compact flourecent lamp types would meet the standard , but GLS tungsten lamp with bayonet cap or edison screw bases, or tungesten halogen lamps would not