Outside lights via 13A socket IP66 box

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

FlashBangPhut

Reaction score
Hi all.

I want to add some lights in my garden, and a socket for the mower.

I was going to sink a dual 35mm box next to a convenient ring socket and put a RCD spur on 1 half, and use the other half for the lights

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
Hi all.I want to add some lights in my garden, and a socket for the mower.

I was going to sink a dual 35mm box next to a convenient ring socket and put a RCD spur on 1 half, and use the other half for the lights

FlashBangPhut

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to add that the RCD spur would be 5A fused, the Mower is only a little Flymo so will be OK.

My main worry was the dimmer interfering with the socket and the 2 circuits sharing the same box; both of which you've addressed! Great ta.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Reaction score
There is no issue with the two ccts coming through the same box.

However, I DO have an issue with the fused spur to 5A for the socket & lights.

1) If someone decides to use the hoover, pressure washer, or any other item in that socket, the fuse would blow. Someone could conceivable put a 13A fuse back in the spur, leaving your lights unprotected!

If the socket you choose is on the ring, and it is RCD or RCBO protected at the box, I would simply take the outside socket supply, as a spur, from that point. That leaves your fused spur & dimmer for the outside lights.

KME

FlashBangPhut

Reaction score
There is no issue with the two ccts coming through the same box. However, I DO have an issue with the fused spur to 5A for the socket & lights.

1) If someone decides to use the hoover, pressure washer, or any other item in that socket, the fuse would blow. Someone could conceivable put a 13A fuse back in the spur, leaving your lights unprotected!

If the socket you choose is on the ring, and it is RCD or RCBO protected at the box, I would simply take the outside socket supply, as a spur, from that point. That leaves your fused spur & dimmer for the outside lights.

KME
Yes, I see your point; you're absolutely right.

I'll use the dual box for the lights, (5A FCU then Dimmer) and sink another single for the RCD spur; the CU is old and not upgradable.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Flying Scotsman

Electrician
Reaction score
what do you mean old and not upgradable, you havent got lead or rubber cables round the house have you?

FlashBangPhut

Reaction score
what do you mean old and not upgradable, you havent got lead or rubber cables round the house have you?
Nope, Sorry I meant to RCD to the ground ring I would need to put another little CU in; -the CU there at the mo isn't anything I can get adapters for or RCBOs to fit in.

It's in a little cupboard that's got no room in I'm afraid.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Reaction score
Nope, Sorry I meant to RCD to the ground ring I would need to put another little CU in; -the CU there at the mo isn't anything I can get adapters for or RCBOs to fit in. It's in a little cupboard that's got no room in I'm afraid.
you can get a little 2way enclosure with an RCD and 2 MCBs for abot 30quidish,

I think they're primarily intended for garages and the like, but dunno if an RCD spur would work out any cheaper, or neater.

just a thought.