outside supply (garage/shed)

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

Lee321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rcd protection before the supply leaves the house or in the out building?

Reaction score
Personally I would see that as a sub-main to another building and do'nt see the need for the RCD. In the out-building I would probably fit what I call a Garage Unit which is really a 2way consumer unit, RCD as main switch feeding a 6amp and a 16amp MCB s . If using SWA cable would always use a 3 core,using third core as earth.

Deke ( Waiting to be shot down )

DonkeyDong

TEF Newbie
Reaction score
Depends on the run of the cable in the building - it may have to be RCD'ed to comply with the 17th.

Just remember submains can have a disconnection of 5 seconds.

D.

Admin1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I cook wit Gas (WTF? I hear you ask)....

I cook with gas and therefore don't use the cooker point (MCB Side of CU). I have 3 core 6mm SWA going to shed (Approx' 17 metres). I have it terminated into a Two way RCD main switch Garage consumer unit. I have the lighting on 6 A and have changed the 16 A to 32 A because of the number of s/o's that I have added. :)

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Reaction score
Personally I would see that as a sub-main to another building and do'nt see the need for the RCD. In the out-building I would probably fit what I call a Garage Unit which is really a 2way consumer unit, RCD as main switch feeding a 6amp and a 16amp MCB s . If using SWA cable would always use a 3 core,using third core as earth.Deke ( Waiting to be shot down )
if its PME/TNCS

DONT EXPORT THE EARTH

Reaction score
I cook wit Gas (WTF? I hear you ask)....I cook with gas and therefore don't use the cooker point (MCB Side of CU). I have 3 core 6mm SWA going to shed (Approx' 17 metres). I have it terminated into a Two way RCD main switch Garage consumer unit. I have the lighting on 6 A and have changed the 16 A to 32 A because of the number of s/o's that I have added. :)
to quote specs 'thought it was a workshop'................

Admin1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Is it painful?Do you get discharges from that?

Have you been to see the doc?

IS IT CATCHING?!?!?!?!?!

( The Nackered Car - Syndrome / Poxy Motor Effed)

:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O
Stop tampering with my quotes. I had to double check that I hadn't put that. :^O

Reaction score
Hey Steps I've only been in the trade for 40 years but I must admit that you've thrown me with reference to the Exported earth. If you run a sub-main from one building to another, whats the problem with the earth ? Excuse my ignorance, lets face it there is always something new to learn in this trade.

Deke

steptoe

Reaction score
Hey Steps I've only been in the trade for 40 years but I must admit that you've thrown me with reference to the Exported earth. If you run a sub-main from one building to another, whats the problem with the earth ? Excuse my ignorance, lets face it there is always something new to learn in this trade.Deke
its been a major bone of contention EE,

but IMHO it is not only dangerous, but illegal to export the eath from a PME/TNCS supplied property to another building outside the equipotential zone.

it introduces a different earth potential to a prospective fault.

there is another thread on here about it perhaps someone that knows how could link it for you.

Reaction score
Reaction score

steptoe

Reaction score
Somethig I can do................There's me modest exported earth thread

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1559

And the big mamma of an exported earth thread with name calling, calculations and everything

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=483&highlight=exporting+earth
:^O :^O:^O

PMSL

Im starting to like you Apache, :)

as much as I like to think I know everything, working this new fangled picture screen button box thingie is beyond me. ;)