outside supply (garage/shed)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rcd protection before the supply leaves the house or in the out building?

Personally I would see that as a sub-main to another building and do'nt see the need for the RCD. In the out-building I would probably fit what I call a Garage Unit which is really a 2way consumer unit, RCD as main switch feeding a 6amp and a 16amp MCB s . If using SWA cable would always use a 3 core,using third core as earth.

Deke ( Waiting to be shot down )

Depends on the run of the cable in the building - it may have to be RCD'ed to comply with the 17th.

Just remember submains can have a disconnection of 5 seconds.

D.

I cook wit Gas (WTF? I hear you ask)....

I cook with gas and therefore don't use the cooker point (MCB Side of CU). I have 3 core 6mm SWA going to shed (Approx' 17 metres). I have it terminated into a Two way RCD main switch Garage consumer unit. I have the lighting on 6 A and have changed the 16 A to 32 A because of the number of s/o's that I have added. :)

Personally I would see that as a sub-main to another building and do'nt see the need for the RCD. In the out-building I would probably fit what I call a Garage Unit which is really a 2way consumer unit, RCD as main switch feeding a 6amp and a 16amp MCB s . If using SWA cable would always use a 3 core,using third core as earth.Deke ( Waiting to be shot down )
if its PME/TNCS

DONT EXPORT THE EARTH

I cook wit Gas (WTF? I hear you ask)....I cook with gas and therefore don't use the cooker point (MCB Side of CU). I have 3 core 6mm SWA going to shed (Approx' 17 metres). I have it terminated into a Two way RCD main switch Garage consumer unit. I have the lighting on 6 A and have changed the 16 A to 32 A because of the number of s/o's that I have added. :)
to quote specs 'thought it was a workshop'................

Is it painful?Do you get discharges from that?

Have you been to see the doc?

IS IT CATCHING?!?!?!?!?!

( The Nackered Car - Syndrome / Poxy Motor Effed)

:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O
Stop tampering with my quotes. I had to double check that I hadn't put that. :^O

Hey Steps I've only been in the trade for 40 years but I must admit that you've thrown me with reference to the Exported earth. If you run a sub-main from one building to another, whats the problem with the earth ? Excuse my ignorance, lets face it there is always something new to learn in this trade.

Deke

Hey Steps I've only been in the trade for 40 years but I must admit that you've thrown me with reference to the Exported earth. If you run a sub-main from one building to another, whats the problem with the earth ? Excuse my ignorance, lets face it there is always something new to learn in this trade.Deke
its been a major bone of contention EE,

but IMHO it is not only dangerous, but illegal to export the eath from a PME/TNCS supplied property to another building outside the equipotential zone.

it introduces a different earth potential to a prospective fault.

there is another thread on here about it perhaps someone that knows how could link it for you.

Somethig I can do................There's me modest exported earth thread

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1559

And the big mamma of an exported earth thread with name calling, calculations and everything

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=483&highlight=exporting+earth
:^O :^O:^O

PMSL

Im starting to like you Apache, :)

as much as I like to think I know everything, working this new fangled picture screen button box thingie is beyond me. ;)