owl monitor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringy

Reaction score
just been looking on another forum and somebody was talking about these owl monitors.

anybody any experience with them good or bad?

:p

They are basically a amp clamp with a wireless display. Trouble with them is that they do not calculate the cost of a individual appliance just the total load of the property at a given time. You will have to calculate the cost by knowing the cost of 1 KWh from your supplier and working it out from there.

I use one when i have to go to customers for a meter accuracy check.

what does a clamp meter measure slip?Amps =A thus A clamp.not too difficult to understand. :^O

We have always referred to them simply as clamp meters !
And you can buy

Amperage clamp meters

Voltage clamp meters

leakage currant clamp meters

Earth ground clamp meters

;) ; ) ;)

Sounds like a gimmick to me. the only way they will save energy is if you spend all day watching the damn thing!!!

Sounds like a gimmick to me. the only way they will save energy is if you spend all day watching the damn thing!!!
Thats the whole point, you watch the Owl and not your TV;) :p :^O:^O

just been looking on another forum and somebody was talking about these owl monitors.anybody any experience with them good or bad?

:p
We have a similar sort of thing... It came free when we had new meters fitted by e-on.

ours is called an Eco-Meter, gets signals from the smart Electric AND Gas meters.

A few buttons allow you to scroll though energy usage over

past 12 hrs

past 7 days

past 28 days

and past 12 months.

some of the info is like a bar chart.. e.g. past 12months, 1 bar for each months consumption.

Others info is actual Kwh, &

We have a similar sort of thing... It came free when we had new meters fitted by e-on.ours is called an Eco-Meter, gets signals from the smart Electric AND Gas meters.

A few buttons allow you to scroll though energy usage over

past 12 hrs

past 7 days

past 28 days

and past 12 months.

some of the info is like a bar chart.. e.g. past 12months, 1 bar for each months consumption.

Others info is actual Kwh, &

cheers for the replys guys

might be worth getting one might convince the kids to turn the lights off after leaving the room, either that or take it out of there pocket money :)

Some of the new eco meters also have a SIM card inside that phones the electric company's and gives your meter readings so you can see your usage online in graph form.A lot more of these meters are being rolled out next year. The plan is for 60% of the country to be fitted with them by 2013 if the watchdog can force the electric company's to fit them
We had both our meters replaced earlier this year part of some free trial stuff..

The Electric meter has the phone connection stuff in it..

the Gas meter has a lithium battery and some electronics so it can tell the Electric meter via blue tooth how much gas has been used..

Then the Electric meter passes all this stuff back to E-on, also sends data to the eco-meter so we can see whats going on! :)

We had both our meters replaced earlier this year part of some free trial stuff..The Electric meter has the phone connection stuff in it..

the Gas meter has a lithium battery and some electronics so it can tell the Electric meter via blue tooth how much gas has been used..

Then the Electric meter passes all this stuff back to E-on, also sends data to the eco-meter so we can see whats going on! :)
Also turns out E-on are reading your text messages and watching you in the bath! :eek:

All a bit 'Big Brotherish' for me :|

OWL Monitor !!!

On a serious note i was asked if i could get a pigeon alarm...

that goes off when pigeons land on his shed.....

so it scares them and makes them fly off...

he must not like pigeons i guess ??