P.I.R and the elusive C.U

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky1967

Reaction score
Hi guys - this is a first pic for me so hope it works:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq312/tpotsparky/Photo016.jpg

this is the second of 3 flats, NIC report from 2006 didnt flag this as an issue in terms of its location, only that theres no r.c.d protection. All flats have the same 4 way wylex. Split load or Dual split not an option - theres no way it will fit. Looks like my only option is to replace with 6 way standard board with all r.c.b.o's to fully comply !! - What are your thoughts ??

Picture worked! :^O :^O:^O

IMHO

If you were to install a new board...

how do you meet

314.1 (i) avoid hazards & minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault.

134.1.1 Good workmanship.....blah...blah etc...

526.3 accessibility to connections for inspection & testing etc..

As this is flats... & not a new build.. I don't think it comes under building regs???

but if it did you would need to satisfy the part M heights of accessory's and switches;)

At the moment it is probably not an electrical hazard,

so I would call it a Code 4! no comply but not a danger!

BUT practically it is stupid... late night dark fuse blows!!! :(

I would insist on repositioning a new one if I were installing.

Safe isolation of the flat, would be my concern...

(In the event of a emergency..)

; \

Safe isolation of the flat, would be my concern...(In the event of a emergency..)

; \
well safe isolation, in the event of an emergency to the property :p would come along the way imho, tbh i woulkdnt like to have to rip carpets to inspect a consumer unit or to get to the consumer in the event of a fault, id say it was not accessible and all doesnt allow for emergency isolation X( :( :_| ]:) ;)

suppose theres one things though working at height regs dont come into it as steps are not required. :) :D :D :D

suppose theres one things though working at height regs dont come into it as steps are not required. :) :D :D :D
Of course they are - You need to climb them to get to the top where the CU is located. ;)

On reflection, it is a unbelievable place to put a consumer unit... :(
Absolutely!

If you moved in and no-one told you where it was you'd have to rip the place to pieces to find it!

Pulling back the carpet to access the secret compartment would be rather tricky in the dark.

Can't imagine would be a good place to wire in a new CU!

Move it somewhere better!

Thanks Apache, though tyou might agree.. :D

But seriously, I'd like to know the history as to why that is where it is...

:^O

( ]:) )

But seriously, I'd like to know the history as to why that is where it is...
Assuming the building was 1 then split into 3 flats.

If the origional CU was under the stairs (quite common) then may have saved a few metres of cable just to run it under the stairs?

Can see it's a neat clutter free job hidden where is is. Although a daft location!

Just a thought.

I can't think of a worst place to put a Consumer Unit, I am seriously thinking about sending my boys round for Christmas.

The Godfather.

Well I thought that might interest you guys - lol. its maybe not obvious but theres only 2 stairs there from one level to another. Not really possible to move it as to the left is the wall to the communal coridoor, to the right is the bathroom !!!. Apparently the landlord claims that when he bought the property 5 yrs ago it was supposed to have been rewired!!! - all sockets in all flats are screwed direct to 6" skirting and in front of not behind, so hadto lift all sockets and bury behind skirting !!!. 2006 and the fire alarm was supposed to heve been rewired but all cables 1.5 t&e, not fire tuff!!! but what do ya do - gonna suggest all c.u's to be replaced with standard board with rcbos, expensive but at least it will comply !!!

also another question - niceic cert from 2006 is one pir consisting of 12 pages for all 3 flats and landlords supply. I thought that each flat c.u required its own pir or eic!!!, i.e, if you decided to sell the flats under this HIPS nonsense, you would be required to supply a separate cert for each flat except for fire alarm and em. lighting which would be copies!!! - suggestions welcome !!!

Well I thought that might interest you guys - lol. its maybe not obvious but theres only 2 stairs there from one level to another. Not really possible to move it as to the left is the wall to the communal coridoor, to the right is the bathroom !!!. Apparently the landlord claims that when he bought the property 5 yrs ago it was supposed to have been rewired!!! - all sockets in all flats are screwed direct to 6" skirting and in front of not behind, so hadto lift all sockets and bury behind skirting !!!. 2006 and the fire alarm was supposed to heve been rewired but all cables 1.5 t&e, not fire tuff!!! but what do ya do - gonna suggest all c.u's to be replaced with standard board with rcbos, expensive but at least it will comply !!!
Any thing's possible.

Extend the tails and have it at ceiling height? It's above eye-line so wouldn't really be noticed. Don't see leaving it where it is is an option. Bordering on dangerous.

Your name on the certs when little old lady falls and breaks her hip looking for the CU under the carpet (mind the gripper, it's dark), under the secret panel, under the stairs.

Move it!

IMO :)