Part P and Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically if I was to add 2 outside lights to my existing lighting circuit without informing anyone and then I subsiquantly had my CU changed by a sparky and all the testing associated with that would I still be (strictly) illegal?

The entire installation was checked an the only fault found was a 240V shower fan in zone 2 in the bathroom.

Hypothetically if I was to add 2 outside lights to my existing lighting circuit without informing anyone and then I subsiquantly had my CU changed by a sparky and all the testing associated with that would I still be (strictly) illegal?The entire installation was checked an the only fault found was a 240V shower fan in zone 2 in the bathroom.
Unless they are new circuits adding outside lighting to the fabric of the existing installation, is non notifiable.

If your CU is changed, then that Electrician takes responsibility for all wiring in the installation.

The latter would be marked down as a deviation.

Don

I thought outside lighting (bolted onto the outside of my house) was out of the main equipotential (can't spell) zone and was therefore notifiable under part P?

I thought outside lighting (bolted onto the outside of my house) was out of the main equipotential (can't spell) zone and was therefore notifiable under part P?
Outdoor lighting and power installations are special installations.Any new work in, for example, the garden or that involves crossing the garden is notifiable.

Don

The Godfather said only notifiable if it crosses the garden, it' only a s'pecial location'.

As I'm not a sparky I use the term 'fault' incorrectly. Thinking it through 'fault' has a fairly specific definition to yourselves. Comment under observations and recomendations is that extractor fan in bathroom should be SELV and he's given it a code 4. :-D

But does the fact that the entire system was tested not negate the fact that the outside lights were not tested and a cert issued? Hypothetically of course..

Having just climbed into the bath there is no markings on the outside of the fan other than a V shape. There's a single screw securing the cover and when that's removed a 240V feed comes in. The electrician told me it should be a 12V fan over the bath? I really don't know.

But wrong in this case ;) . Lights fixed to the outside of the main house, and fed from an existing circuit are NOT notifiable. Still should be tested and a cert issued, and after 1st July possibly an rcd as well .
Just to clarify the above points

NICEIC pocket guide 8:

Notifiable work:-

GENERAL RULE;

Outdoors.

Installing garden lighting or power, shed/garage/outbuilding/gates/pond pump.

Installing a socket outlet.

installing a lighting point or other fixed current using equipment.

Proviso (the bit people don't read)

note 5. Notification is not required if wiring passes directly through the external wall into the equipment.

GENERAL RULE;

Approved Document P (6/4/06)

work in Special locations OR special installations e.g. Garden lighting or power installations.

Proviso (still the bit people don't read)

note i. Installation of equipment to the outside wall of a house e.g. security lighting is NOT notifiable providing there are NO exposed outdoor connections.

I read this as...

1 light OK

2 lights fed from external j/box Notify!?

Hope this helps de-mudify the water for thems what is confused...

which it is easy to be..??

JB in loft - cable continuous from JB (inside) directly into fitting

Thanks for clarification :)

I shall now go and have a shower and electricute myself with the bathroom fan, then bed ;)

no gas - live in the middle of nowhere. No oil ether :_| Just 'lectric & coal
Can I interest you in a little caravan Gas bottle.....

Bit of a ****** to work a shower... :(

But does boil a very nice kettle for a cup o tea. :D :D:D

But wrong in this case ;) . Lights fixed to the outside of the main house, and fed from an existing circuit are NOT notifiable. Still should be tested and a cert issued, and after 1st July possibly an rcd as well .
The Godfather did say, non notifiable.

The Don is not happy