Part P joke Part 2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welchyboy

Reaction score
I would just like to add my tuppenceworth of my experience of part P today

I arrived at a customers house who was experiencing problems with RCDs repeatedly tripping and other items not working properly since an 'electrician' recently installed a new consumer unit in their home, i said before arrival that really they should be contacting the person who installed the consumer unit , they said he will not answer his phone to them at all, an they have concerns over the work he had done and wanted a second opinion

apparently the electrician was in marketing 2 years ago until he was made redundant then retrained as an electrician, he was hapilly telling the customers how proud he is on becoming a fully qualified Part P registered electricain

the enclosed pictures are of the C.U. and what i initially found, the pictures arnt great as it was from my phone

cu dodge 001.jpg

cu dodge 005.jpg

The bloke spent 3 days on this, then give up and left the homeowners to it, he even blew the main fuse once

the cu was in a shocking state, first problem....main tails reversed polarity in the meter, as the 2.5mm brown conductors enter the black adaptable box you notice they have been stripped bare and were live! fed from a 40A breaker!

all of the top knock outs have been removed for no reason, only 2 fixings held the board on the wall loosely!

the gas bond was on the supply side of the gasmain and was so loose it just span around, no water bonding, the existing cabling was old 2 core twin pvc with a seperate steel earth ran to all sockets, he had cut most of this out, so most of the sockets were now unearthed too.

i wont even get on to labels and blanks

i am ripping this whole lot out and start again in december, after doin some urgent remedial works

i asked if they knew with who he was registered/his details but they didnt know

did this bloke slip the net or is there now hundreds of his ilk now walking around classed as competent with a gold stamp of approval from their registering bodies??

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN PERSONAL FINDINGS AND EXPERIENCES, WITH PHOTOS IF POSSIBLE!

cu dodge 003.jpg

cu dodge 002.jpg

Which approved scheme are you with Welchyboy? Even if it may not directly relate to them, it may be worth passing copies of you photographs for their attention to show the typical problems that are still out there with people claiming to be Part P compliant. If this information only stays on forums like this, then all of the contractor bodies will sit in blissful ignorance thinking everything is going fine.

Doc H.

Today I got a call from plumber I know who said a fused spur feeding the boiler was wired wrong but looks right!

Popped in and tested, sure enough reverse polarity checks nearby socket, same, checks cooker socket, same, aha checks consumer unit, all looks ok but right mess, quick test, supply tails wrong way round, they were the old tails both red but he had marked cables with blue and brown tape but got the colours/cables wrong way round old lady paid

I didnt look in the main fuse holder while i was there as it was late and i was on my way home from a job, but the power is now back on so he has used something, probably fuse wire or worse......bit of 2.5!!

anyway im gonna give it a thourough goin over on my return and leave no stone unturned

im with NICEIC DI, i have my first A/C Assessment in about a weeks time and was planning on discussing it with him then, the AE hates part p anyway, he only does A/C assessments now and thinks it should be abolished!

he said only one company should be able to certify electricians, like gassafe, as having 5 or 6 different organisations fighting over the business just ends up in lowering standards to get the numbers up(but then he would say that wouldnt he!)but to be honest i do agree with him

I come accross crap work nearly everyday and just take it as all in a days work and wouldnt really get involved, but i feel really strongly about this case and would go the extra step to report this guy as he is blatantly dangerous, who knows what else he has got up to? if only for his own good before he seriously messes up!

Shocking work & is worthy of a picture to PE to highlight the part P compliant so called sparks (normaly 5dw) that are out there doing this sort of work.

This sort of work is carried out by the members and registrants of ALL the Schemes, but the Schemes never throw them out. You have really got to be very very dangerous to get thrown out, and then they just go and join another Scheme.

Even DCLG (Government) has chosen to ignore this dangerous state of affairs.

I agree one single Name for the Schemes would be best for the Public to recognise, but we need to keep choice to keep the price down, I would not trust any of them with a Monopoly.

I agree Welchboy, most Assessors hate Part P and the Sham standards set by the EAS Committee, with their approval of 5DW's, and sham competence provided by the dangerous QS system.

Guess who is on the EAS committee, that set technical standards, guess who pays for them all, we do.

British Standards Institution (BG)

Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG)

Benchmark Certification Ltd

Electrical Contractors

Take a look at these photo's I took around a month ago.

4 year old, 5 bedroom villa with heated swimming pool. Stunning from the front of the house until you get to see the horrors!. The place was rented with 2 kids running around.

I was asked to take a look at the swimming pool heating CU as the the 100Amp switch kept tripping.

Sorry I didn't take many pictures as I didn't have the time.

Outdoor sockets wired in SWA with no glands, just stuffed in socket holes and wrapped in insulation tape.

Bare cables hanging out of walls which has to be isolated, 2 x 500 watt security lights for swimming pool lighting.....not far from the water!

Sub mains in blue single cores that were fed through a plastic tube!!, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc etc.

I told him he needed a periodic and some serious sorting out pronto!, spoke to the owners wife who informed me they had been had over for a large sum of money by the builder.............................who wouldn't answer his phone.

Told them they should get a lawyer and take him to court. Apparently the 'sparky' used to work for the council, I think not. I never did a periodic for them, said they would seek legal advice first.

Never mind.

View attachment 2648View attachment 2649View attachment 2650View attachment 2651View attachment 2652

Last edited by a moderator:
I was recently called out to a boiler fault.

When I got there it was explained to me that, he boiler was changed two years ago and connected up by the plumber. It worked ok until it was turned off last spring.

Two weeks ago, the customer tried to kick the boiler in

Last edited by a moderator:
My rant for today (which fits in nicely with this):

Got the AC run for a PV install to do this morning; followed by a 3.2KW install on a local property.......

(I`ve already done the inverter, DC side, AC iso & metering / garage board stuff - just the AC external in conduit, and connect / commission. Estimate 2 hrs.)

Ac run goes in fine - connect to iso. adjacent to inverter - connect to metering and OCPD kit. Isolate installation, to splice my "tails" in...

FYI: the CU is a newish-looking MK dual split jobbie, with NO labelling whatsoever.

When I attempt to re-energise install, one of the MCBs trips instantly. Unless I isolate a ring final, I can`t get it to stay on.

Test the ring - no problems!!!!! WTF?????

Then ANOTHER ring trips the RCD out. What is going on? Faulty RCD methinks - so swap it out.

Same problem. BUT if I temp. connect the ring to an RCBo, and feed it from main supply - the ring stays on, but the downstream RCD trips again, though it will reset.

Now my trusty Fluke has gone to Megmark for a holiday, so I`m using the saddo kewtech KT62 "spare" tester, and starting to get my hair off.

(during which time, Canoey decides to `phone. Thanks mate, and I hope this explains my distraction)!!!!!

So, from the above info, anyone care to try an explanation (it has NOTHING to do with the connection of the PV, and the install was all on when I got there. No cert. issued for the CU)

Therein lies my rant. The surveyor had told the customer the old fusebox needed upgrading, so they had this guy in (customer "He`s a proper electrician, has a couple of guys working for him"). I don`t care, with all respect. No cert., no "part p" notification, no labelling or schedules. Neutrals don`t match MCBs, MBCs not identified). If this f`in wallaby cost me THREE f`in hours trying to sort this out. I now know which circuit, and what the fault is, but can only theorise why it hadn`t tripped. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The saving grace? I left there at 1.15, went to the second job (3.2KW install), and left there at 4.30, all commissioned and signed off.

KME

The world is full of idiots. I got called out Friday to a job a builder i know was working on, Saying he had used outside RCD socket and tripped RCD in consumer unit in house and couldn't get it to reset. Tried usual switch breakers off but it would not reset. So go out firstly disconnect RCD socket but still won't reset. So after his customer gets car out of garage and we remove ladder that stops consumer unit access i get lid of. Straight away see problem. Some idiot has connected new outside light into b32 breaker on non RCD side and neutral on RCD side. Personally as it was in new colours and CPC had been cut off think it was the customer. The lady did say the light had never worked which didn't suprise me. The only thing i can think it was switched off and the builder had accidently switched it on hence why the trip tripped.

I was recently called out to a boiler fault. When I got there it was explained to me that, he boiler was changed two years ago and connected up by the plumber. It worked ok until it was turned off last spring.

Two weeks ago, the customer tried to kick the boiler in

bad enough that you feel every installation should have more than one earth obviously.sorry, well Im not actually,

but before you sla6 someone else off, please ensure you are in the right,

there is NO such cable as the one I have highlighted, its either an earth or its not,.

just one of my personal gripes,

earth is the most important cable you will use, but so many people dont even know its name never mind how to connect it.
1. The Elecsa moron "tested" the boiler supply and pronounced that the earthing was adequate on an UNEARTHED INSTALLATION - CASE CLOSED.

2. There are many instances that I have come across where there have been more than I earth cable - hence my reference to the MAIN earth cable to the installation.

3. "bad enough that you feel every installation should have more than one earth obviously" - I never stated as such, the fact that you are sad enough to rely on wordplay is your problem not mine.