Part P question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saveloy

Reaction score
Hello, Could anyone who knows answer this question. Thanks in advance

Is it the case that if you are not registered with a relevant Part P organisation then you can:

Go on a 5 day Part P course and pass.

When you come to do a job, you inform the LBC and pay their fee.

You issue the cert for the job along with your Part P certificate No. to the LBC.

Job done.

Is that the process finished. ie the LBC deems you competant and does not come to inspect your work. They accept your Part P cert as proof of competance.

The reason I ask is this.

I have passed my 2330 L3, 17th and 2391. I passed my NIC domestic asessment last week. Guiness Drink

During the summer I built an extension for a customer. However they would not let me sign off the work without being Part P, and as they had not inspected the work, they would not accept my installation certification.

Today I popped round to see a friend who is building his own extension. He is L2 qualified only (no 17th). He is carrying out his own installation work alongside a guy from his work who has done one of these 5 day Part P courses. His mate had done the first fix on the lighting and TBH it was a mess.There were JB's everywhere, masses of twisted cables everwhere,outer sheaths not taken into JB's, not one cable clipped- you get the picture.

The proposed shower/toilet room (6' x 4' with no window) was wired so that a 12v combined over-run fan and light was operated with one pullcord and another light operated with a seperate pullcord. I pointed out to my mate that should anyone take a dump in there, it may be a long time before the stink evaporated, unless they operated the shower light, due to the lack of air change. The long and short of it is, I rewired that part for him doing away the JB's and the two pullcord affair.

When I asked if the council had inspected any of it, my mate said No. All his mate does is, pay the LBC fee and issue his Part P pass certificate Number. along with the installation cert.Job done. I couldn't believe it TBH. Is this the case?

Sorry for the long post. Cheers.

P.S. Mr Part P is not 17th either. :eek:

Sounds like a real botch job. If you have level 3 then you dont actually need Part P as its all done within the scope. You wont learn anything doing a 5 day course.

Pay LABC, (it wont be needed if the extension has been approved by LABC) they check first fix, then check 2nd, then tehy should bring someone in to test and inspect it. But wont be needed if you are scam approved.

AndyGuiness Drink

If your not registered with one of - NICEIC , ELECSA , ECA , NAPIT you have to inform your LBC before you undertake any electrical work that comes under the part p scope , they will charge you and come out and inspect your work is up to standard , a cert still needs to be completed and submitted the end of the job....

Sounds like a real botch job. If you have level 3 then you dont actually need Part P as its all done within the scope. You wont learn anything doing a 5 day course.
Cheers Zee. I actually used the extension on my NIC assesment. At the time I told the building inspector that I was L3 and 2391, but it didn't seem to make a difference to him. Because I didnt tell them until near the end of the job he said it was too late to inspect. TBH I was always going to go Part P any way.

No need to apologise for a long post saveloy....

I believe I may have done the odd longer than average post in the past!!Blushing

think admin can verify that!:DBlushing:|

I think some of the issues can also relate to the fact that different councils charge AND operate their Part P stuff differently..

see this thread

LABC building control fees for Part P work! - Electrician Forum

are both your example under the same LABC?

If your not registered with one of - NICEIC , ELECSA , ECA , NAPIT you have to inform your LBC before you undertake any electrical work that comes under the part p scope , they will charge you and come out and inspect your work is up to standard , a cert still needs to be completed and submitted the end of the job....
Cheers Steve, I understand that now, didn,t at the timeBlushing.

What I don't understand is : this matey who is signing off is not registered with anyone. Apparently he just pays his fee, issues cert and the work is passed by the LBC- no inspections at any stage. He is judged competent on the strength of a 5 day course pass certificate! Is this the case?

Cheers.

No need to apologise for a long post saveloy....I believe I may have done the odd longer than average post in the past!!Blushing

think admin can verify that!:DBlushing:|

I think some of the issues can also relate to the fact that different councils charge AND operate their Part P stuff differently..

see this thread

LABC building control fees for Part P work! - Electrician Forum

are both your example under the same LABC?
Thanks for that. So as I am beginning to see there are no hard and fast rules with the part P scheme where councils are concerned. Great. Really going to improve standards that is.

My examples are under different LABC. God help this bloke if he ever tries to pass off his work in the borough where I did my extension!! :eek:

Thanks for that. So as I am beginning to see there are no hard and fast rules with the part P scheme where councils are concerned. Great. Really going to improve standards that is. My examples are under different LABC. God help this bloke if he ever tries to pass off his work in the borough where I did my extension!! :eek:
IMHO..

you have probably hit the nail well & truly on the head there...

NON-STANDARD practice throughout the country! :_| :_| :_|

you just have to get on...

do your work...

keep your nose clean....

and have a few of these..Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

every time a customer pays you! :) ;)

Cheers Steve, I understand that now, didn,t at the timeBlushing. What I don't understand is : this matey who is signing off is not registered with anyone. Apparently he just pays his fee, issues cert and the work is passed by the LBC- no inspections at any stage. He is judged competent on the strength of a 5 day course pass certificate! Is this the case?

Cheers.
you can do this , inform LBC for each job you do , but its not very cost efficiant at

IMHO..you have probably hit the nail well & truly on the head there...

NON-STANDARD practice throughout the country! :_| :_| :_|

you just have to get on...

do your work...

keep your nose clean....

and have a few of these..Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

every time a customer pays you! :) ;)
To be honest I was shocked at the standard of work I saw yesterday. Part P is definitly a waste of time if it can be bypassed like this. This bloke hasn't even got 17th FFS. And I think he's got shares in a junction box manufacturers judging by his liberal use of them. All in a flat roof with no access whatsoever.

I have noticed that on the last few jobs I have done the building inspector from the council will not sign the jobs off unless they see the certs. I have just done a girl guide centre job the building inspector said he wanted to see the cert for that before it will be signed off although this does not come under the part P. So it shows they are getting into gear with the certificating more.

Batty

The 5 day courses should be for people or sparks who have lots of experience and have been out of the trade for a while, to catch up and gain the latest quals.

With regards to your "Mate" - I believe you should phone up the LABC and tell them about his work. Not that you should have to. They should get off of their lazy butts and do it as they should.

This country is a shambles. The sooner we get a body like the "Corgi Gas" - the better! They do not mess about - you break the law and you're up in court. And they back their members up!

The 5 day courses should be for people or sparks who have lots of experience and have been out of the trade for a while, to catch up and gain the latest quals.
I believe that was the original intention which would have been good, but some how they have "morphed" into a short cut route to bypass the regs.

With regards to your "Mate"
- Not quite sure why you have put the word mate in inverted commas

I believe you should phone up the LABC and tell them about his work. Not that you should have to. They should get off of their lazy butts and do it as they should.
TBH I don't see it as my place to police the industry. One of the purposes of the current rules and regs (as I see it), is to make electricians responsible for their own actions- noone elses. Having said that, if I see shoddy work at a mates, then I will point it out. And as I did yesterday, I sorted a bit out for him.

Also he is L2. We were both on the same course together. I carried on and went all the way. He did say he wasn't impressed with the work. He should have said. , to the bloke. It is not my place to mollycoddle grown men.

TBH you are right.They should get off their lazy butts. That is what I presume the fee is taken for.

This country is a shambles. The sooner we get a body like the "Corgi Gas" - the better! They do not mess about - you break the law and you're up in court. And they back their members up!
My sentiments exactly. I can't for the life of me figure out why a "Corgi" system wasn't implemented. I believe this would have given the industry far more credence. As it is half of joe public don't know about Part P and couldn't give a stuff about it anyway!!

BTW did you know that CORGI are being replaced CAPITA?

corgi has lost the plot, as from march 31st next year we have to remove our corgi stickers and fit a big yellow triangle on our vans says gas safety or summit similar.

part P as above is a mess,

i went to a job the other month there was a sparky in the middle of a rewire, he left all the socket outlets and light switches hanging off the wall, bare wires every were.

the customer was 76 and very frail. it was left like this for 3 weeks as his m8 was testing it for him but was to busy.

i called niceic but they said nothing they could do as the electrician was not in a scheme, so from that i figure if i am not in a scheme i can trade with no fear of reprisals.

good init.

same with hetas. the new body for solid fuels, no one has even heard of them ..

yes there is a scheme for fitting solid fuel and no one should fit/maintain or sweep a solid fuel boiler without the correct credentials.

what a load of s****e..

dont start me offff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all these "schemes" are just another way to get our hard earned cash and give some monkey a nice easy job.

The LABC inspector in my area was a brickie 7 months ago !!!

clueless......

need to join a scam in the new year.......

my local council told me that if i sent them proof of my qualifications , i could carry out the notifiable work after paying the fee

i have had that aswell

wots the point

saying that i did get picked up on the routing of cables in a roof space once

they would be the ones feeding the ceiling lights in the flat roof extension being clipped to the joists,

potential damage when the ceiling went up from nails,,,,could i put it in steel conduit !!!!!!