Part 'PEE' / I-'PEE' ratings.... (Strange times... Strange faults!)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During these strange times, still doing whatever work is available as & when..

But I didn't realise strange times also brings out the strange jobs/faults...

One of my jobs yesterday afternoon was a visit to a new customer who'd reported problems with a double socket in their kitchen...

Initial phone call stated:-

The power had tripped off couple off days ago... unsure exactly why..   (it was the RCD that had tripped).

But later on that day, they noticed a buzzing and cracking sound from a socket in the kitchen...

After looking closer at the socket noticed it looked damp around it..

So wiped it all down, power stayed on..

but still getting noises..

Asked me If I could come and have a look..

But then gave the comment..

"Don't laugh.. but I think the cat may have pee'd over the socket' !!!  :Chairfall

So we've left that circuit turned off at the fuse-box as we don't feel its safe with the noises its making!

I get there open up the socket and sure enough on the inside there is clearly visible signs of "damp residue"..!!  🐱

and with the socket disconnected on the worktop..  doing an IR test between L-E, N-E were getting 0.18MegOhm.

Double check ring continuity, re-terminate into a new socket..

Re-test RCD is operating all correctly..

All good..

So I agree with customer their diagnosis of the cause...  Cat-Pee in the socket!!

For some unknown reason the cat had jumped up on the kitchen work-top and pee'd all over a double socket ??

(Maybe getting angry at having these "people" invading his home and daily routine over the past 12weeks+

So re-marking a bit of territory in the kitchen !!)..

Anyone know what the IP rating is for a Cat-Pee rated double socket ????

:C   :slap

or anyone else had "strange jobs" during Lock-down?  

Guinness  

I've had that kind of job several years ago..... for some reason some cats like to Pee on sockets 

.....I've also had it with sockets down the sides of children beds, but I doubt that was a cat

Cats of both genders will pee to mark their teritory.

As a boy I had the fun job of repair the family tv after the cat had sat on top of it and peed down the back.  I got it working but it was never quite right again.

A while back I diagnosed a tripping rcd fault to the sockets in one bedroom.  It was an old stone house, no insulation, poor heating.  2 sockets on one wall had beds pushed right up against the wall.  The whole wall was dripping with condensation, and when removed you could pour water out of the sockets.  I fitted 2 new sockets and the fault was fixed, but I advised them to leave a gap between the wall and the beds or the same would happen again.

A few weeks ago got a panicing customer on the phone - both parents at work, RCD tripped out, son at home - I was very close to them so I popped in - in the hall was a 4 way extension lead that caused the trip - a cat had pee'd over it

I didn't charge them for the 10 minutes I was there and recommended they replaced it

Which of the 4 cats was to blame is unknown - our cat, to our best knowledge has never pee'd inside

Bit of a common theme, I got called to the company fire station, sockets tripped in the appliance bay, went to look and they had a cat bowl and water dish on a mat about 10 yards away from a socket with obvious cat spray marks on it, changed the socket, all good and told them why they had the problem, never got called back to that fault so not sure what happened to the cat.

not had  a cat pee in socket yet, but did have over zealous cleaner with spray bottle of disinfectant who liked to make sure the kitchen sockets were clean. It eventually shorted the socket internally with nice arc marks across the internal workings.

Bit of a common theme, I got called to the company fire station, sockets tripped in the appliance bay, went to look and they had a cat bowl and water dish on a mat about 10 yards away from a socket with obvious cat spray marks on it, changed the socket, all good and told them why they had the problem, never got called back to that fault so not sure what happened to the cat.
Obvious.   Move it's feeding bowl to under the socket. It won't do it on it's own dinner.

Fixed a fault at my own house last week. Got a new hob about 7 years ago, one of the rings stopped working after about a day, never bothered about it and put it on to my 'to do' list, well there is another 3 rings after all.

Stripped it down and found the fault, soldered it and job done, must have been just enough solder on it to pass factory testing but as soon as it was put to real work the tiny amount of solder on the joint gave up.

IMG_20200508_141045.jpg

IMG_20200508_141106.jpg