PAt tester - tester

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calltronics

Reaction score
Hi all,

People keep asking me if the calcard can be used to test "pat testers".

Now I know what and how a PAT tester works and the calcard was never designed to confidence test a PAT tester.

But my two questions to the forum are: -

1. Is it necessary to check the PAT testers operation?

2. Are there tests laid down or specified somewhere as to what tests are required to check a PAt tester?

I am sure you can guess where I'm heading I just can't seem to track down the defined requirements.

Anyone any knowledge?

Stand by for p.m within the next couple of days mate. The answer is yes, there are specifics - I just have to find `em (unless someone[ABC] beats me to it???)
Martyn mate, I will leave that to you mate. :)

Yes, PAT testers do need to be calibrated. I'll track down one of my results sheets later today and reply with what they tested.

Hello Mr S. Nice to see ya again. Where ya been hiding Mate?

Hello Admin, I've been posting on another site......... Don't worry it's not a electrical site! I've been doing a bit of camping and hiking recently so I've been over on that type of forum. Unfortunately there is now a bit of a backlog of posts to read. Not to mention the influx of new members!

Anyhow... Back to Calltronics OP.

The tests for PAT calibration are as follows:

Earth Bond Test

A known resistance is applied and the indicated resistance and measured current are listed for the high current bond, soft current bond and I.T. current bond.

Insulation Test

A known resistance is applied and the indicated resistance is measured. Also the voltage into a 10 Mohm resistance is measured.

Flash Voltage

The voltages supplied by the tester are measured.

Load Test

A known kW power source is used and the voltage shown on the tester measured.

Leakage Test

A known current is used and the current shown on the meter measured.

Function Test

110V operation, fuse continuity and the IEC lead test are checked to see if they work properly.

So I would have to say that the cal-card cannot test a PAT instrument. As the resistances used on the earth bond and insulation tests have to be exact (the earth bond applied resistances are to 4 decimal places!)

Hope this helps!

It's the first time I've looked all the way through the calibration results really. Usually as long as it says 'Pass' I stop reading! :)

hi

Mr Sword

great list but just a tad confused,

The tests you list appear to be those that you carry out on the equipment your testing.

Are these the same tests you would carry out on the "self confidence check".

I refer in particular to the function test.

Also Part P states that Domestic Installers should record measurements to ensure the ongoing accuracy of instruments, or words to that effect.

Where does it state the equivalent for Pat Testers?

hiMr Sword

great list but just a tad confused,

The tests you list appear to be those that you carry out on the equipment your testing.
They are in a way. It's just that the PAT is testing a precise and known value for each of the tests. The results of what the PAT displays are recorded and compared to the known test values.

So a known resistance of 0.1056ohm is tested by the PAT for earth bond and the PAT displays 0.9ohm. Now you can calculate how acurate the PAT is and if it is within the calibration percentage.

Are these the same tests you would carry out on the "self confidence check".I refer in particular to the function test.

Also Part P states that Domestic Installers should record measurements to ensure the ongoing accuracy of instruments, or words to that effect.

Where does it state the equivalent for Pat Testers?
We calibrate the tester once a year and just keep the results on file. I'm not sure if there is anything to say you must but you need to be confident that the results are true.