PAT testing yes or no?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I know 39 weeks is a long time for a PAT course, but it was a Ba*tard of a course to do & we did cover all aspects of equipment types plus all sorts of scenarios to which the interpretation of the COP can/could come into question.

This was in Exeter at a Technical facility not a college.

The way I read it though is that the COP is only a guidance for PAT, you still have to apply the aspects of the law & the BS EN's 609050, 60384, 60065 & 60335.

The way I read it though is that the COP is only a guidance for PAT, you still have to apply the aspects of the law & the BS EN's 609050, 60384, 60065 & 60335.
Just as the Big Red Bible is also only a guidance for electrical installation.

PAT testing only satisfies the Electricity at Work Act which is one of the few things that IS law that we need to understand. You don't have to PAT test equipment really, any other method that satisfies EAW is also valid. :)

Thats true mate, it does get confusing to some people when they say I have to have it PAT tested & I tell them that this is not neccesarily the case.

Also I thought that insulation is done by way of earth leakage so why do an earth test?

Im not arguing with you, am just intrested in your interpretation. You know I am always open to other peoples ideas as none of us know it all.

That's true mate, it does get confusing to some people when they say I have to have it PAT tested & I tell them that this is not necessarily the case.
I don't bother to explain the difference between Laws, COP's and regulations any more. It's takes too much time! :^O

Also I thought that insulation is done by way of earth leakage so why do an earth test?
The insulation test ties the live and neutral together and and tests the insulation resistance between them and the earth. However if the earth is open circuit the tester will never be able to make that test. Hence why you must determine that the earth is present and connected first.

I'm not arguing with you, am just interested in your interpretation. You know I am always open to other peoples ideas as none of us know it all.
Us? Argue on this forum? Where do you think this is? SF? :^O

Right I am of up the wooden hill to bedlam, early start tomorrow 6am so have to be up @ 5, :( Can we continue this later Mr Sworld I am genuinely intrested?

Night night chaps & chapesses.