PAT testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A so called friend of mine has kindly got me a job doing some PAT testing in his local pub.

I have no idea what to charge. ?:|

apparently there is only about 30 or 40 items to test, and its about 15miles away from me, so the thought of charging 80p or

Is there previous PAT records that you can use? If not you have the added expense and time of starting a record of tests for them. It's not sufficient just to slap a sticker on it, there should be traceable documentation as well. :(

Is there previous PAT records that you can use? If not you have the added expense and time of starting a record of tests for them. It's not sufficient just to slap a sticker on it, there should be traceable documentation as well. :(
nothing, zilch, as far as I am aware. its just a cash in hand sorta thing, so was just gonna print something off the computer, with a few additional columns for future test dates and P/F tick boxes.

would still be a record of test wouldnt it? do I need to keep a copy also?

was gonna ask him for

How can you possibly think about 'cash in hand' when you are signing documents that could be used in a court of law.
standing in a court of law to bear witness to a certificate I signed in good faith and honesty has no bearing whatsoever in claiming back tax for having a liquid business meeting in a pub.

the tax man gets more than enough from me already! :_| :_| X(

how many of us can honestly say we declare every single penny to the tax man?

that fiver the little old lady at the end of the road gave you for changing the lamp in her outside light???????

You charge little old ladies a fiver for changing a bulb :eek: :O:O;\ ; \ ; \ :eek: :O
Make sure they pay you on completion as well. Dodgy old buggars will do anything to get out of paying you. Even as far as popping their little clogs Blushing

Ok i am joking..............Pray

You charge little old ladies a fiver for changing a bulb :eek: :O:O;\ ; \ ; \ :eek: :O
I thought the GAVE was the giveaway? ;)

I was charging I would have made her bring the light to me and cost a tenner for a 60w lamp!!!!!

same old same old tho!

you cant discriminate between this

I thought the GAVE was the giveaway? ;) I was charging I would have made her bring the light to me and cost a tenner for a 60w lamp!!!!!

same old same old tho!

you cant discriminate between this

last couple of years I have put my tax through the isle of man, 11% :D .

just never changed it when I moved over here, will have to put it through UK system this year tho :_|

evening steptoe if this is a one off job for 30 or 40 items you should charge day rate the time spend doing this will take longer than you may think especially if the place is open.

I have done this type of thing before and it can take a long while, also remember with pat testing there is not really any follow on work. make sure you take a big pile of fuses and plugs and charge extra for changing them. if you are going to do it per item you must work out what is worth while to you.

evening steptoe if this is a one off job for 30 or 40 items you should charge day rate the time spend doing this will take longer than you may think especially if the place is open.I have done this type of thing before and it can take a long while, also remember with pat testing there is not really any follow on work. make sure you take a big pile of fuses and plugs and charge extra for changing them. if you are going to do it per item you must work out what is worth while to you.
thanks for the advice guys, Ive arranged to do it next sat morning, not open till lunchtime!

reckon there will be some more follow up so dont want to shoot myself too much, told him would be less than

In my PAT testing experience ............unless they have carefully counted the items (in which case it should be defined better than 30-40) there are nearly always more items than they think.

evenin all and Steptoe

We do an annual check of some offices (which are open to the public)

when we do these it is for an agreed price but they have 1000 items approx.

Horrible job but pays a bill.however doing a pub as a one off as you mention ,we would charge