PAT testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
As much as I hate it, it's one of the duties I have to perform. However it will take me about five minutes per item for a full test. Removing equipment, visual check of the lead and casing, checking the fuse is the correct size. Then if an earth bond is required it can take a couple of tries to find a suitable point to get a reading. Insulation test and then the load test/leakage test.

However I bumping into a guy testing in one of our other sites the other day (they've subbed it out) and got talking to him. His company charge

I usually use a small cable tie and attach the mains lead to the equipment it powers and test it as one item. However if the mains lead is stupidly long (cleaning equipment usually i.e. floor cleaners/polishers) and attached permanently I'll cut it and use a c-form plug and socket so I can test the lead and item separately to get sensible earth bond readings.

"So if you PAT test properly you'll never get work."

seems like a tough deal Mr S.?

heads they win... tails you lose!!! :(

I never got involved with PAT testing,

but does seem to be one of those easy courses some of the colleges like to push... :|

get loads of PAT testers out their under cutting each other??

Don't get involved in it if you can avoid it, you'll never make decent money.

I only do it because it's part of my contract but at least it means I'm not paid per item, hourly pay means if I have to spend an hour repairing one failed item or testing twenty I still get paid the same.

I think the only way to guarantee proper testing is to do in-house, not sub it out.

Like that's ever going to happen! :(

Had considered branching out into PAT testing as a sideline to customers BUT between the cost of the tester & course, I couldn`t justify it. Glad I didn`t now - Thanks for the heads up Mr. S

Sorry, i was refering to plug in leads on pc's printers etc.
So was I! I attach them semi-permanently (with the cable tie), it helps monitor faults as the software I use alerts me if there is more than a set percentage change in the results between the new and previous test

tend to agree, it seems to be one of the things that apprentices get pushed thru to make the firm some money(and get them a piece of paper).

same old same old tho, pay by the hour get some1 to spend time and do it properly, or by the job and get it threw at you cheap and cheerful.!!

Latest posts