PAT Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazza19634

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at taking a course in PAt testing and was wondering how easy it is to find work ,any advice would be grateful

Are you currently doing PATesting and want to do a recognised course or are you totally new to it. Finding work and being profitable don't necessarily go together as the market is pretty cut throat with companies doing it for next to nothing and people get what they pay for, I know there are these companies out there knocking out 400 appliances a day so what does that tell you.

Are you currently doing PATesting and want to do a recognised course or are you totally new to it. Finding work and being profitable don't necessarily go together as the market is pretty cut throat with companies doing it for next to nothing and people get what they pay for, I know there are these companies out there knocking out 400 appliances a day so what does that tell you.
Hi,yeah I'm totally new to it ,I was thinking maybe part time work as I'm nearing 60 and wanted a little job for maybe 2 -4 days ,also would you know the going rate ?

Going rates are widely variable and I know of companies charging 40p an appliance which is killing this aspect of electrical work.

Hi,yeah I'm totally new to it ,I was thinking maybe part time work as I'm nearing 60 and wanted a little job for maybe 2 -4 days ,also would you know the going rate ?
it's not good work if you have dodgy knees! I charge by the hour at same rate as electrical work, minimum £50. Prices for PATing have dropped significantly, but last time I talked to a friend who does this work, he was working on 80p per item. I only do this as a bolt-on piece of work for landlords I do electrical work for.

Be warned. - It's incredibly repetitive and tedious to do.
It was one thing I considered as a private business, after retiring from industry. Later I was so glad I hadn't.
In the event I took a part time job doing maintenance for a care home.
That job included PAT, and the week or so per year it took, going through the place, was plenty for me!

As part of my managed slow down I recently removed references to PAT testing from my website and if people call me now they get a polite no thank you

the OP should do a local google search and see how many people are advertising locally AND see if they publish their pricing.

Hi I'm looking at taking a course in PAt testing and was wondering how easy it is to find work ,any advice would be grateful

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT), is actually called "In-Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment"...

I haven't checked recently.. but there used to be loads of single day courses that gave you some sort of paper certificate at the end of attending saying you were competent to PAT...

People who do it typically it fall into one of two categories...

(1) Any qualified and competent electrician with standard industry recognised test equipment could easily carry out all aspects required to verify the integrity of any portable appliances.. (e.g. as Binky mentioned, they may do it as part of other work.. But otherwise, it is probably not worth getting out of bed for as the monetary gain on its own is negligible!)

(2) A semi-skilled button pushing trained monkey, can be taught how to use a "plug & play" easy to use PAT meter.. e.g. plug appliance into tester.. press button.. wait for Pass or Fail message... Print label.. move on to next appliance...!! (e.g. people unskilled to do actual electrical alterations and/or additions.. but are happy to try and compete against a multitude of cheap, cheaper and cheapest competition to do an every increasing workload of repetitive boredom...

The best advice I can suggest is to read one of many various basic guides to PAT.. e.g. Amazon Brian Scaddon Book

If you don't fully understand the concept of PAT.. This will MASSIVELY help you..
And assist your decision as to what may or may not be relevant to you..

Personally I think PAT is a pretty much saturated market...

And you probably stand a better chance, of better earnings, with a "Cycling Proficiency Test certificate" and looking for work with Deliveroo!!!!!

Office scenario
Identify Karen's PC
Switch off
Crawl under desk
Look up a few skirts
Unplug Pc
Look up,a few skirts
Exit from under desk
Test PC and lead
Create label
Repeat procedure in reverse
Return to top of list
Repeat

All this for about 50p!

They can fricking jog on

Either I get my normal hourly rate OR they don't get me, simples

Office scenario
Identify Karen's PC
Switch off
Crawl under desk
Look up a few skirts
{- edit-}
All this for about 50p!
They can fricking jog on
Either I get my normal hourly rate OR they don't get me, simples

Unless of course the view up Karen's skirt makes the loss of earnings worth while...
(You did not mention.. Knickers or NO-Knickers??) :unsure:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

The new qualifications for PAT are more than a one day course and you also need to have some knowledge in electrics, it’s a move to have testers with knowledge on electrics rather than someone who can just press a button. Even electricians are failing the exam now and they do not help you to retake the exam and what bits you need to work on.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT), is actually called "In-Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment"...

I haven't checked recently.. but there used to be loads of single day courses that gave you some sort of paper certificate at the end of attending saying you were competent to PAT...

People who do it typically it fall into one of two categories...

(1) Any qualified and competent electrician with standard industry recognised test equipment could easily carry out all aspects required to verify the integrity of any portable appliances.. (e.g. as Binky mentioned, they may do it as part of other work.. But otherwise, it is probably not worth getting out of bed for as the monetary gain on its own is negligible!)

(2) A semi-skilled button pushing trained monkey, can be taught how to use a "plug & play" easy to use PAT meter.. e.g. plug appliance into tester.. press button.. wait for Pass or Fail message... Print label.. move on to next appliance...!! (e.g. people unskilled to do actual electrical alterations and/or additions.. but are happy to try and compete against a multitude of cheap, cheaper and cheapest competition to do an every increasing workload of repetitive boredom...

The best advice I can suggest is to read one of many various basic guides to PAT.. e.g. Amazon Brian Scaddon Book

If you don't fully understand the concept of PAT.. This will MASSIVELY help you..
And assist your decision as to what may or may not be relevant to you..

Personally I think PAT is a pretty much saturated market...

And you probably stand a better chance, of better earnings, with a "Cycling Proficiency Test certificate" and looking for work with Deliveroo!!!!!
Not a day course anymore and more indepth, unskilled or semi skilled will struggle to pass the new exam.

The new qualifications for PAT are more than a one day course and you also need to have some knowledge in electrics, it’s a move to have testers with knowledge on electrics rather than someone who can just press a button. Even electricians are failing the exam now and they do not help you to retake the exam and what bits you need to work on.
It all depends on your definition of electrician

Not a day course anymore and more indepth, unskilled or semi skilled will struggle to pass the new exam.

I would suggest to tell that to the multitude of PAT course providers who list 1-day courses!

e.g. a quick google from various "Professional training providers"

About our PAT training course​

To answer the question most frequently asked, you do NOT need to be an electrician to carry out PAT testing.
In theory, anyone can carry out PAT testing provided that they have the appropriate knowledge on how to perform the task safely. Undertaking a professional PAT training course is widely recognised as the best option for obtaining this knowledge and competency.
Even if you have little or no prior electrical knowledge, our PAT training course will provide you with all you need to know to carry out PAT testing. This includes everything from basic electrical principles to the theoretical and legal aspects of appliance testing, alongside plenty of practical and hands-on training in using PAT equipment, performing visual inspections and record keeping.

DURATION
One-day PAT testing course (9.30am - 4.30pm)
LOCATIONS
Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Leeds, London (Epsom), London (Watford), Manchester, Newcastle, Peterborough, SouthamptonON-SITE COURSES AVAILABLE
CERTIFICATION
Certificate of Competency in PAT Testing (subject to successful completion of the course)
ASSESSMENT
Three open book assessments throughout the day

There is no previous electrical experience required for this 1 day course, we will take you from start to finish with excellent instructors, training aids and if you have a PAT test machine we can show you how to use it, if you don’t have one, we can loan you one for the course and even provide advice to which machines would be the most suitable. .

Whether you are looking to save money on your PAT testing costs or start a PAT testing business, we believe this is the best course for your needs.

To discuss the course, dates or anything else, please get in touch.

PAT testing is a skill that can be learned by almost anyone (over the age of 18) such as office maintenance staff or landlords. Some basic electrical knowledge is useful but not essential. In a commercial environment, regulations insist that every item of electrical equipment is tested and certified as being safe to use. For electrical contractors this can be seen as a potentially lucrative new service to add - and one that is required by industry at all levels.

Plus when anyone can buy a pack of labels.
Pat Labels

Its not very regulated or monitored..
the whole PAT band waggon is even less policed than Part-P work or EICR's etc.. etc..

company i do some work for have put some of their staff through a PAT course. still get me in to do the testing though

been plenty items ive picked up something and immediately failed just by looking at it, pass it to one of their staff who's done a course, and in more than half the items they cant see why ive failed it until its pointed out, and theyve mentioned they probably wouldnt have noticed some of the faults either. not trying to make them look bad, just the simple fact is, theyve 'passed' a course but in reality still dont know what they are doing, hence me still doing the testing... but still, i wouldnt be surprised if there are some faults ive missed too

its also one of the jobs i dont really like doing much, and only for regular customers

Latest posts