pat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

multimick

Reaction score
:| :|as the useless screwfux site is shite

if i pat test a few items using my megger 1502 can i do the earth bond with 0.2 amp on continuity scale ,and do you put down the reading or just less than 0.1 ohm, cheers

PAT Earth bond tests for 13A fused equipment is 26A, for 3A fused equipment it's 8A and IT equipment is usually tested at 100mA.

So no (sort of), but PAT testing isn't a requirement in law it merely shows that equipment is 'tested and maintained'. However that fulfils the Electricity at Work Act that requires equipment to be 'tested and maintained'

Ok, the reply wasn't great! :_|

So here goes.....

No, you can't use the Megger as a 'PAT' tester. While the insulation resistance can be done, the earth bond cannot as the megger cannot generate the currents to test the bond. The ampages are so high because the will cause a poorly connected earth to fail!

You could use it to PAT test Class II equipment, as they have no earth to test.

For the final test you do a load test so you would need a wattmeter and a earth leakage current test is a good idea as it identifies equipment like to cause nuisance tripping on RCD's.

Hope this replies meets the higher standards of this forum.

(Oh...... It's Mike by the way, not Mick!)

think welshy meant me lol

cop guide (just got it ), page 42 gives two methods for earth bond 1st one is a continuity measurement with a short circuit test current of 20 -200 milliamp carried out while flexing the cord,thats what i meant:|

(Oh...... It's Mike by the way, not Mick!)

:^O :^O

lot of mikes i see

hehehehehe

welcome both mike and mick lol

think welshy meant me lolcop guide (just got it ), page 42 gives two methods for earth bond 1st one is a continuity measurement with a short circuit test current of 20 -200 milliamp carried out while flexing the cord,thats what i meant:|
Ahhhhh...... That explains it, I was wondering how he got my first name. A spell perhaps I though. Now I see it was all smoke and mirrors! ]:)

I have a vague memory of that type of test. I've, admittedly, never seen it performed. If the client is happy with that test go for it but many look at the 'PAT leaflet' and won't accept any other method because 'that's the law'. I find it easier not to argue the finer points of what 'recommendations', 'Act's' and 'laws' actually mean with them and just do what I know complies! :^O

Ahhhhh...... That explains it, I was wondering how he got my first name. A spell perhaps I though. Now I see it was all smoke and mirrors! ]:)
I officially know your name now. :^O

But I will still call you by your Username. :)