Periodic Inspection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norv

Reaction score
If one was to do a Periodic Inspection of a Domestic Property & it was "Unsatisfactory" & then one was to go back & rectify the faults, i.e replaced broken sockets & light switches etc.... What paperwork would then be issued ?

Thanks one & all:)

The Niceic got tough on this one last year. Any remedial work must be covered by a cert, either a minor works for each circuit or an installation. This should be well worded to show what it covers. This paperwork should be kept with the unsatisfactory periodic to show the faults have been corrected. Thats all, however if you wish to fill out another satisfactory periodic you could, but you must have the minor works/installation aswell.

Thanks for the replies

Most of the stuff was a like-for-like replacement. The only fault was a failure on the IR test on sockets, where the earth hadnt been sheathed it had crushed the Neutral in the backbox. I suppose a MWC for this circuit only ?

Thanks for the repliesMost of the stuff was a like-for-like replacement. The only fault was a failure on the IR test on sockets, where the earth hadnt been sheathed it had crushed the Neutral in the backbox. I suppose a MWC for this circuit only ?
MWC will be fine..

Quite often, when doing a PIR, if there are issues I speak to the owner/landlord and usually agree, to do the remedial work alongside the PIR...

Then I can mark it satisfactory..

However sometimes this is not a practicle option.

; \

Thanks for the repliesMost of the stuff was a like-for-like replacement. The only fault was a failure on the IR test on sockets, where the earth hadnt been sheathed it had crushed the Neutral in the backbox. I suppose a MWC for this circuit only ?
Norv

yep you could get away with only that as it was a major failure

If one was to do a Periodic Inspection of a Domestic Property & it was "Unsatisfactory" & then one was to go back & rectify the faults, i.e replaced broken sockets & light switches etc.... What paperwork would then be issued ?Thanks one & all:)
Just to illustrate in another way what the others have said....

A question like this you have to step back & assume a scenario of what if Two completely different contractors were undertaking the work..

Remembering there is no obligation for a customer to go back to the contractor who did the PIR to do any remedial work..

(one of the reasons why clear descriptions of the defects is written)

i.e.

1 does PIR

2 does remedial work!

so as contractor 2 has only done remedial work.. they issue either a EIC or MWC? dependant upon type of work....

so That is what should be provided if the same contractor did both! ;) :D

I've been in the habit of issueing a covering letter for the remedial works, with any relevant test results recoreded on that, it always seemed daft (to me)to issue a cert for changing broken accessories and the like. Seems I'm in a minority judging be other replies.

it always seemed daft (to me)to issue a cert for changing broken accessories and the like. Seems I'm in a minority judging be other replies.
I don't....

B)