Petition to force pubs and entertainment industry to close Christmas day

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more of a live and let live opinion.

I doubt if many are actually forced to work if they really don't want to. Many that do work are rewarded with double time, etc. 

petition says everyone should have the choice to work or not but then they should be forced not to work? so much for the choice

not everyone is bothered about christmas. just another day to me. got no jobs planned tomorrow but if nything comes up i wouldnt be bothered about having to go do some work

there's also plenty people out there who have to go to work. not everything can wait a day

Last edited by a moderator:
It works both ways too. When I was employed in a  major company the unions negotiated a Christmas/ New year  shutdown  for more than a week, BUT we had to "donate" three or four days of our annual leave entitlement.

Some welcomed this, particularly those from North of the border, who seem to make Christmas last until mid-January, but many more, including myself, considered it a criminal waste of leave days which could be much better used in the summer. 

After all, what can you do at this time of year except eat, drink, and try to avoid too much exposure to the grandkids?

and try to avoid too much exposure to the grandkids?
Horses for courses 

just travelled 3000 miles to see two of  ours and have Xmas with them, my younger daughter and son in law

3000 miles back again to UK on 30th to see our other 5 and I wouldn't miss it for the world

Horses for courses 

just travelled 3000 miles to see two of  ours and have Xmas with them, my younger daughter and son in law

3000 miles back again to UK on 30th to see our other 5 and I wouldn't miss it for the world
Oh yes, don't get me wrong!  Just spent a lovely day with the whole family and put on a big meal for them yesterday.

The're also getting much easier to entertain as they grow up. I just don't need about a fortnight with tiny ones!