Phones, Pc's And Blue Tooth.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was dragged into the 19th century when someone gave me a cast off smart phone (and old Samsung Galaxy) so now I have a phone that I can actually use to send a text (it has a poxy on screen keyboard) and I can take photographs.

But because it's old and knackered, the USB port does not work for anything other than charging the phone.

So I want to get photo's from the phone to the pc.

I have a blue tooth USB dongle for the pc (bought for something else that never worked) so I thought I would try it.

I find with the blue tooth dongle plugged in, I can click on the blue tooth icon in the task bar and it gives me the option to receive a file, and I can find my picture on the phone and "share" it and select blue tooth, and by this clumsy mechanism I can transfer one picture at a time.

So my question is, what programme can I use on the PC to allow me to use a proper file manager type interface to select and transfer files between the pc and the phone via blue tooth?  I'm guessing I also need a app on the phone as well to make that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did have it working over BT when I had a Samsung, but went away from Samsung coz Kies is crap and doesn't work properly!

It should be OK for just stuffing a few pictures across.

You could email them to yourself too.

You could email them to yourself too.
Another can of worms with this old dinosaur.

It's only on pay as you go. And while it will connect to the internet and use a browser via our wi fi, it won't do anything like email without insisting I pay for "data" 

no SD card in the phone?
No, but even if there were, opening it up to get a card out is more tedious than the present method via BT

You're using the wrong data settings then, I know because I have connected an old Samsung with NO SIM card to wifi and use it for some stuff.

Mind saying that it was an ex-contract phone.

Yes it's android.   :coat

Not only that the version of android is way too old to do anything useful (if it were more up to date I could use it as a chart plotter for my boat)  I looked at upgrading the OS, and the instructions frightened me, starting with having to "root" it, oh and that required the USB port to work.

Yes it is a POS but it's my POS.

Last edited by a moderator:
ES File Explorer. I have always used it across multiple networks for copying photos and files to/from network shares. Simplest method ever.

Canoeboy said:
If its Android then put it in the road and drive over it

Get an old nokia brick, a blackberry or an apple device, they just work

Androids are just like windows.....  :coat   :B-   :innocent
:red card

Androids work

windows doesnt

Apple charges you if you want it to work, and thats badly,

I have an icrap phone sitting in a dock since the week after I got it, being used as an internet radio as its so useless for anything else,

its a white 3GS if you are interested, most expensive radio I ever bought,!!!   ;)

I too would have to say you have a setting wrong as I also have an out of use PAYG phone and I do use wifi to send stuff from the phone to my pc.

I also have bluetooth on this pc (no dongle) and yes it will send / receive pictures via bluetooth but yes it is slow, but I figured out that when sending, you can select more than one picture to send, and it will just  "stack them" and send one after the other until all sent.

I like apple on the whole, (I have a mac, and a large coat, and an ipod) but I would never have an iphone, too much that they can't do.

Latest posts