PIR agreed limitations of inspection

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

Reaction score
I had to quote for some work the other day at a house that had a PIR done when they moved in.. (12mnth + ago)...

The PIR had some observations that needed improvement, which the customer showed me, I noticed on the front page......

Extent of installation covered :

said "Full installation"

&

Agreed Limitation to Insp & Test :

said "None"

which in reality... doesn't happed... {unless blank cheque and open ended time scale}

You cannot test the WHOLE installation with NO limitations and this could actually leave some serious liabilities with the contractor doing the PIR!!

For a Domestic property I have a standard description to put in this box..

[Agreed Limitation on Inspection and Testing.]

No lifting of floorboards or exposing concealed cables or boxes. Sample of sockets, switches & light fittings opened & inspected. Some fittings unable to open due to risk of damage to decoration.
universal.. covers just about every domestic property!

and covers your backside in case there are nasties under the floorboards..

such as sellotaped joints... :eek:

Reaction score
Most of that is already stated in the limitations box. But i do also put something similar in there along with 'All cicuits tested and 25% of accesories checked'
Indeed so Slipshod..

I use it as a sort of 'belt & braces' to try to make it abundantly clear to the customer that it is NOT possible to check everything...

had a customer once after a PIR.. a ring circuit had a dodgy reading on one leg..

e.g. the resistance reading indicated the neutral leg would have been about 35m - 40m longer than the Live leg!

so I put down a code 3 requires further investigation... and they say.. "But I thought you tested everything":_|

Its that sort of.. "well yes but only the accessible bits & a sample of accessories", polarity & Zs were ok just a bad joint somewhere! :|

It was as if the customer thought I had a magic x-ray machine to detect all the cables and view them on a zoom-able digital colour screen!! :( But alas nahhhhhhh! :D :D:D

So I make sure tis written down in the boxes as well as in the "small print" what they don't read. ;) :D

Reaction score
On the certificates i use it says.

(cables concealed in trunking and conduits, or cables and conduits concealed under floors, in roof spaces and generally within the fabric of the building or underground have not been inspected). But i do agree i think you need to put something in the limitations about checking behind every switch and socket.

Batty

Reaction score
These should give the customer something to think about!

Excluding all fixed equipment, appliances and white goods, immersion heaters, central heating controls and equipment.

Concealed/hidden circuits, fittings and accessories will not form part of this PIR.

No removal of furniture.

No removal of carpets, flooring, floorboards or loft boarding or insulation.

Cables concealed within trunking and conduits, or cables and conduits concealed under floors, in roof spaces and generally within the fabric of the building or underground will not be inspected.

Fittings and accessories have been inspected by sampling.

Concealed/hidden circuits, fittings and accessories will not form part of this PIR.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
how much experience did you all have before doing your first PIR?

i turned one down a while back as i was unsure i would be able to do it. ive tested a little in the past but not much.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
lol, i mean of testing / sparking in general! i just worry i would miss something!

Reaction score
Another point i put in the limitations box is 'not all accessories were accessible due to furniture and personal belongings' This covers you , for example if you missed a broken socket that was hidden behind a bookcase. A few times i have forgotten to remove this from a test sheet on a completely empty property, and it has been remarked on.

Reaction score
Another point i put in the limitations box is 'not all accessories were accessible due to furniture and personal belongings' This covers you , for example if you missed a broken socket that was hidden behind a bookcase. A few times i have forgotten to remove this from a test sheet on a completely empty property, and it has been remarked on.
:^OApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Oh yes Mr customer..

there were no hidden sockets behind any of the wardrobes that were not there in the empty upstairs bedroom!! :p :^OBlushing

good point tho Slips! ;)

Latest posts